How do I recreate my shared hosting environment locally?
Posted by: polaatx (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2010 07:20AM

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a tutorial or list of things that typically need to be done to recreate my shared hosting server environment locally. I have always developed remotely and thus remained ignorant of configuring servers and programming language.

I just installed WAMP on my machine and I'm wondering what all needs to be done to my local environment so I get exact same results as if I'm developing remotely -- so that there are no or fewer surprises when I do transfer my files to remote.

thank for your attention.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I recreate my shared hosting environment locally?
Posted by: sikas (---.233.65.182.tedata.net)
Date: January 18, 2010 04:22PM

what I understood from you is that you want to use a local server to test your website before you upload it to avoid any surprises ...

if that is true then, go to your installation folder (ex: C:\WAMP\) you will find a folder named www open that folder, create a sub folder (ex: myWebsite) and then add your files to the new folder (myWebsite)

Now to test your website locally:

open your web browser and go to "localhost/myWebsite" (without the quotes) there you will see your home page of the website (if you have one) or a file list if no index/home page found ...

if you are using a database with your website, then you will need to create one on your local server. To do this:

open your web browser and go to "localhost/phpmyadmin" (without the quotes), and create/import the database ...

Hope I helped you and answered your question ...

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2010 11:41PM

a lot of setup depends on what and how you want it, check it here
[guides.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: polaatx (---.lsanca54.static.covad.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 06:16AM

Thank for your replies.

I build websites using the CMS Drupal. It involves php, mysql and apache and when configurations are a little bit different, results can change dramatically.

I was thinking perhaps it would be helpful to, for example, replicate my host's setup locally, like the php.ini they use, etc.

By the way yfastud: I got a forbidden error on your Free POrtable GPS Downloads link. I am very interested in seeing what that is about.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: January 20, 2010 04:16AM

I was thinking perhaps it would be helpful to, for example, replicate my host's setup locally, like the php.ini they use, etc.
most host use *nix while wamp for win so php.ini will NOT be exactly the same; also, you most likely have custom php.ini but you can have only one php.ini for your wamp that will affect the whole web server

By the way yfastud: I got a forbidden error on your Free POrtable GPS Downloads link. I am very interested in seeing what that is about.
Sorry for inconvenient. Link fixed and they're about modifications we're testing on our Portable GPS devices such as Mio, Omni, Tomtom, so on to have something different from original such as these
[jlbn.net]
[jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.