localhost not found...pls help
Posted by: kuthor (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2009 01:53AM

I recently installed WAMP server on my laptop running Windows Vista home basic. The wamp server is online now(yellow tray icon). The problem is whenever I try running localhost in firefox, it gives the following error:

Server Error in Application "DEFAULT WEB SITE"
Internet Information Services 7.0

Error Summary
HTTP Error 404.4 - Not Found
The resource you are looking for does not have a handler associated with it

Detailed Error Information
Module IIS Web Core
Notification MapRequestHandler
Handler Not yet determined
Error Code 0x80070002
Requested URL [localhost]
Physical Path C:\inetpub\wwwroot
Logon Method Anonymous
Logon User Anonymous

I have searched in the forums before posting this. I dont have IIS installed on my Laptop. Also, I have exited skype and yet it does not work. Please help.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2009 01:59AM by kuthor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: localhost not found...pls help
Posted by: toumimi (84.6.111.---)
Date: September 06, 2009 11:33AM

If your wamp icon is yellow, then probably Apache service is not running, so you can't get localhost.
If you have excited skype, then you would be able to start Apache from wamp menu -> Apache -> Service.

If it doesn't work, test port 80 (from same submenu) and read Apache error log (from Apache submenu)

Note that you don't have to exit Skype to get Wamp working..
Open Skype. Go to Tools -> Options -> Connection -> Advanced and untick "use port 80..."

Florian

WampServer Patch (Screenshots)
Topic EN : www.wampserver.com
Topic FR : www.wampserver.com

Posted by: kuthor (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2009 02:57PM

That solved it....Thank you...

Posted by: OrangeTea (---.bredband.comhem.se)
Date: January 18, 2012 09:24AM

I still have a problem. After testing port 80 I received this information:
Your port 80 is actually used by: Server: Microsoft - IIS/7.5
What can I do to solve this trouble?
Thanks.

Posted by: scarabaeus (---.kindermorgan.com)
Date: January 18, 2012 03:43PM

Date: January 18, 2012 06:01PM

I changed port 80 to 8080

Posted by: sarojg (---.ablncmtk01.tx.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 05:00AM

I see same as OrangeTea... "Your port 80 is actually used by: Server: Microsoft - IIS/7.5 / Cannot install the Apache service, please stop this application and try again." . I don't have MS IIS installed (unless it was installed by another MS app like SilverLight" and I don't see any service with IIS in its name in my services list. I saw some suspicious code in Dreamweaver... although I don't understand PPH so not sure what the code is doing. I do see W3SVC (World Wide Web Publishing Service" that is in a group named iissvc) which is status=Running. Probably the culprit, but I don't know what is initiating this. When I click "go to service" there is nothing highlighted and the PID (4032) is not listed in the Precesses list. When I try to stop this service as administrator, a popup says "The operation could not be completed. Access is denied. Thus I don't know how to turn this service nor do I know what is turning it on in the first place. Any ideas?

Any help appreciated.
Saroj

Re: localhost not found...pls help UPDATE WORKING
Date: January 19, 2012 05:13AM

Jeesh... I guess if you read these posts enough, the brain starts putting stuff together (even though I only understand a smidging of what I'm reading.

I got to the Services through the Control Panel and stopped World Wide Web Publishing Service" plus some other crap I didn't even know how it got activated like Norton Ghost. Voila! the WAMP icon turned to green and appears to be running now... This will all be easier once I'm further up the learning/knowledge curve.

Date: January 19, 2012 01:16PM

Yes, att first, I chnged one of the ports 80 to 8080 and began to work both servers but stopped setup for my own hosts. Then I found another simple and excellent solution, description here: [www.ferolen.com]

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.251.255.15.threembb.ie)
Date: January 19, 2012 04:33PM

Just disable IIS .

It's pretty simple if u read the information your given

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: January 19, 2012 05:49PM

Steve "Its pretty simple if u read the information your [sic] given", was that for me? Maybe you should actually read my post. I'm not an idiot. There was no IIS to disable.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 06:01PM

IIS is the microsoft webserver.. its disabled thru the "programs and features" menu in contorl panel.

it removes all of IIS inclusing the Web Publishing, Web Deployment and HTTP Server.

i just ment if it tells you - "IIS is using the port " a quick search online or on the forum will explain all this"

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: January 19, 2012 06:35PM

Steve, your answer implies that IIS was installed and running OR that netstat -ao showed IIS listening to Port 80. I never had IIS installed EVER on this computer... intentionally at least... and it wasn't displayed in "programs and features"; it wasn't listed in Task Manager Apps or Services... ccleaner didn't show it...so there was no IIS to uninstall...

...and the first 20 times I tried to see what was listening to Port 80 it only showed chrome, Avast, and NT Kernel (which it hid as "Sony VAIO"winking smiley, not IIS, not even WWW Publishing. and I didn't know W3SVC was part of the iis-whatever-its-called group until I found a different way to look at what services were running. It was only when I tried a few different apps to reveal info about services that WWW Publishing showed up and I put 2 and 2 together and disabled it.

I DID see all the posts on many different forums, but since I knew I didn't have IIS installed and it didn't show up anywhere, there was nothing to uninstall. I still don't know how World Wide Web Publishing got onto this computer (OS W7) or what the effect is of disabling it, but WAMP is working now.

To be helpful, you shouldn't assume that the situation is simple and obvious; or that the poster hasn't tried HARD to figure it out in spite of almost complete ignorance of the innards of internet connectivity. I used to manage people who did, but had no reason to get into the details myself. Now I'm helping a non-profit (with almost no budget) get a substantial internet presence and capability so I'm diving into learning CSC, HTML, PHP, MySQL, Drupal and CiviCRM (oh yes, and WAMP to speed up my learning) at age 69 so I think I deserve some respect.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 10:03PM

ok but iv answered over 6,000 posts on this forum and i dont get paid...

so you should assume that i do it because i like to help people.

IIS is built into windows at a very low level and so it doesnt show as using port 80 in netstat

and you should be running netstat as -aon to see things more clearly.

iis is listed in every version of windows in the features section

start> control panel>add remove programs>programs and features> turn windows features on and off> Internet Informaiton Services.

iis comes enabled or part enabled or not enabled for many different reasons , including simple things as having a shared printer for some bizarre reuse of code.

sorry again but my post wasnt related to you , but the other person.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: January 20, 2012 12:55AM

Thanks for your service and the bit about "Features". I honestly didn't even realize it was a new aspect of the Windows OS separate from the Uninstall or change a program. I us .NET in some minimal C# programming I've done; maybe it got turned on then... or maybe its been on the entire year and a half that I've had this computer with W7 instead of XP... [screencast.com]

I'm not a big fan of Microsoft so I resist learning about it... its like the computer in my car for the most part... I just want it to work, not to have to understand how it manages the A.C. / Heat function.

In any case I appreciate your apology and, again, thank you for your willingness to help people gratis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.