export/import of db
Posted by: maymoonshine22 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 02:59PM

Hello everyone. I am trying to export my db from phpmyadmin in order to import it into the remote server [where my hosting is after I created my local webpages and db]. I export and check all the checkboxes on the right [add, drop tables etc] and it exports as a .sql file. So far so good.

I then import the file on the hosting server's phpmyadmin. This is what I get: Files successfully imported, 35 queries were successful [or something along those lines]. But then I don't see the database at all. It does not show up.

I even tried this: after exporting the db I deleted it in my local phpmyadmin and then tried to import it again onto the local phpmyadmin but this time it would give me this error: table categories is not found [categories being the first table in the db].

What do you think is going on?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: export/import of db
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2009 03:53PM

is your mysql on live host the same version w/ wamp?

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: February 16, 2009 04:08PM

Ah. I can check. But the point is that even when I delete the db locally and try and upload it again from the .sql file which was created by the same phpmyadmin it still does not show up.. and in fact gives the error about not finding the db.

sad smiley

[Ok I checked and t hey are not the same. Locally it is version 5.0.45 and on the host it is 4.1.22
But then even if so, does that mean that the database is not transferable with every version? that is a disaster! and how do I upgrade it on the host? could there be such a thing?]

Nevertheless, locally it is STILL giving me an error.. so is it really a question of version?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 04:13PM by maymoonshine22.

Date: February 16, 2009 04:49PM

to import mysql DATA, you must setup db first
to setup db, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: February 16, 2009 05:21PM

puurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect. It worked. So the point is, I just have to create a new user and password and create the name of the new database and THEN import!! wow!! facinating!!

Thank you so much. Now I am happy. I wasn't able to sleep last night because I was unable to get this to work. So... you made my day!!
smiling smiley

Date: February 16, 2009 06:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.