step by step guide for Installation of Wamp Server on Windows XP platform
Posted by: Neel (---.static.exatt.net)
Date: January 19, 2009 12:23PM

Hello,

I wanted make some web development with the help of Drupal and for that I required to have web sever,a database,php for all these requirement I Googled on the internet and I found that this all provides in the one application which is WampServer and so i downloaded that,I tried the installation but I think that didn't work upto the mark, so I request to all of you please suggest me the installation steps for the WampServer on the Windows XP Platform.

I have already installed WAMP5 Version 1.7.4,but when I click on it shows All services Running - server Offline How to make the server online, and I also notice that it asked for PORT 80 Where should i ckeck for the Port 80 and whether it is free to allocate to the Wamp server.

It would be more helpful if you provide me the step by step guide for both the installation.

This is urgent,all my web development stuck because of this am hoping for your help!

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: step by step guide for Installation of Wamp Server on Windows XP platform
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2009 04:07PM

Posted by: Neel (---.static.exatt.net)
Date: January 24, 2009 12:42PM

There is nobody on this forum to solve my question please friends your suggestion would help me i dont want any site link please provide me the details here itself.

And more specific about my problem is that i am able to see only One service of the Two services started of the Wamp server.I also cannot identify which one of the two service is running, and i kept the drupal RAR files to the Wamp server WWW folder.

please help

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: January 24, 2009 01:20PM

its easy..

left click the wamp icon

goto Apache>Service
goto Mysql>Service

the one that is running will only have Stop Service Clickable (Start Service will be grey as it is running)

the one your looking for... is the one with Start Service Clickable (Stop Service will be grey because its not running)

It is most likely that apache is not running, So what programs are running on your pc?

you can find out what is using port 80 by doing the following...

WHILE WAMP IS RUNNING

GOTO start>run>cmd

type in netstat -aon

your looking for a line with :80 as in the line below

TCP 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 4072

then you need to check PID of that line. in this example it would be 4072

you check this in task manager "ctrl alt del"

In the processes tab look for PID (Process ID) of 4072

( if there is no column for PID then add it by clicking VIEW > SELECT COLUMNS > TICK PID)

whats the name of the process with this PID?

post the results up here if you dont understand them

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2009 01:24PM by stevenmartin99.

Posted by: lee-wampie (---.tstt.net.tt)
Date: March 25, 2011 09:54PM

Hey,
Listen to the mod. I've been to his site and found it quite helpful. I run Windows XP and I followed everything in the guide plus a few extra things that I picked up back when I was trying to install Joomla.
This includes changing the default port for your default website to 8080 (if unused)

Right clicking My Computer--> Properties--> Advanced --> Environmental Variables (it's a button)-->

Under System Variables look for variable named PATH.

Click on it and click edit. Press End on your keyboard to get to the end. There should be a slash and you type in
;c:\wamp\www
with the semicolon

Click Ok/ Apply all the way until you close the first box.

Restart system.

Then Go to IIS and the default Website and right click that and go to properties and change to port to anything but port 80 as Wamp will be using that. Also click one of the tabs that brings up all the types of pages the system accepts i.e. index.html, index.asp, index.php etc.. And either push index.php to the top of the list via the direction keys to your left or add it and place it there if it is missing.

Depending on which version you are using.. I'm using v2.1. my icon when working is greenish and when offiline is red/orange in color. It may be different for yours.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: March 25, 2011 11:23PM

please stop post the advice about the system variable PATH..

this is incorrect advice. We dont want people going there messing their machines up when its not needed

PS - The online/offline function doesnt change depending on the colour of the icon.

thanks

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2011 11:26PM by stevenmartin99.

Posted by: lee-wampie (---.tstt.net.tt)
Date: March 26, 2011 05:13AM

sorry bout that steve. must be a configuration that only works with my particular system setup.

Plus with the Wamp Server 2.1 I have, it does change color based on when I'm offline or online. Is that an error or something? And Yes I did download the version from this site .

Regards

Always System Restore Point and Backup first before waging battle with any opponent.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 07:56AM

maybe you dont understand the online/offline function.

The Colour of the icon is

RED > No services running
ORANGE > One Service running
GREEN > Both Services running

On the menu Online/Offline means if the websites can be seen from the internet of locally

Offline > only localhost or 127.0.0.1 work to view websites
Online > Intranet and Internet users can see your websites

The icon colour changes when you switcxh online/offline as the apache service restarts but it will return to the same colour.

Wampserver does not need to be online to use it. in fact it should be offline for most testing purposes.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.