Multiple Websites
Posted by: nrodes (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2008 12:59AM

Is there an easy way to host multiple websites with WAMP? I'm thinking of using WAMP but I don't want to if I can't easily host multiple website. Thanks for any answers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Multiple Websites
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: November 12, 2008 02:53AM

Posted by: Cibertrix (---.79.228.250.cable.dyn.cableonline.com.mx)
Date: February 20, 2009 12:35PM

First off, I have tried all the suggestions at [guides.jlbn.net] and they do not work at all, in fact they are the worst out of all the suggestions I have tried... sorry dude...

I have no blocked ports, my coding is perfect, I followed the suggestions perfectly - Page Not Found for localhost and all my three websites. The best suggestions (not from here) have given me localhost and all three websites opening my wamp/www/ folder and displaying the website folders that are inside.... not quite what I want.

Anyways, I am not here to bash but make another point that I have noticed is being omitted or not explained clearly....

Perhaps being clearer about what YOU want might help locate the appropriate solution - Do you want:

Multiple localhost websites or multiple hosted websites?

Multiple hosted domains or single domain, multiple sub domains?

Single hosted website with multiple localhosts or viceversa?

or

a/ A localhost testing environment for several websites that are NOT accessable from the internet?

b/ A localhost testing environment for several websites that ARE occasionally accessable from the internet?

c/ To host real finished and working websites that ARE permanently accessable from the internet and occasionally from localhost?

There are important differences, so don't be surprised that even though you might get localhost working that NONE of your websites can be reached from the internet - yup it can be complicated.

I am surprised that no one has yet developed a simple script (with GUI) that you install in your root folder (wamp/www/) and takes incoming internet and localhost calls and simply "redirects" to the appropriate folder/s automatically that you have already pre-selected and designated by running the script.

All this fiddling around and hacking with your httpd.conf's and httpd-vhosts files is archaic and frustrating to people who would much prefer to spend their valuable time developing their websites or whatever...

I have not yet found any 100% correct solutions, even after a week of searching and hacking, but if I do I will certainly return here and post my findings.

Best wishes to all - be you keyboard basher or mouse clicker

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (193.120.116.---)
Date: February 20, 2009 04:48PM

i have i simple answer for you. Stop trying to run a web server and buy hosted sites. Running a server and designsing a site are very different things. Also you may want to look up the word hacking .a conf file is a configuration file. It is supposed to be modified. As for your localhost script thing- its not possible with apache. A web script could never modify a url in the way you want.

But wat you are trying to set up is all possible and quite easy with vhosts.you could of course make a batch or vb script wit a gui to modify the vhosts file.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2009 01:57AM

yup, agree w/ Steven
1. "setting up" server is not the same "hacking"
2. "server administrator" absolutely differ from "website designer"
so if you're website designer, rent a host, only 5 buck a month or less, instead try to do the job of server administrator

First off, I have tried all the suggestions at [guides.jlbn.net] and they do not work at all, in fact they are the worst out of all the suggestions I have tried... sorry dude...
btw, already thousands people success w/ our guides, so if you're not, you might miss a step or two somewhere ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: showstopper (---.rev.greendottt.net)
Date: February 21, 2009 06:57AM

they are right there guides really work make sure and check back your virtual host file and the folders you created one little spelling error can mess things up so make sure your spelling are the same with your files and folders

Posted by: htmlvisions (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: June 06, 2009 05:42PM

yfastud.... Thanks a million! For anyone else using this toutorial stick with the directions and it will work. Only one thing I had to do that is not mentioned or mabe I fumbled the ball a little but either way it works perfectly. I have to put [localhost] in the address bar. Just a note to save yourself frustration. If you check it in a browser and get an error then put localhost infront of the domain name and it should pop up.

Also you are most likely here because you are working on a site and want to work on more. If you are like me I already had the sites on my system and use dreamweaver. If you are using Dreamweaver then you need to go to your connections folder and open any connections and change " localhost " to the domain name.

You will also need to reset your local info and testing server settings from site/manage sites/. It may sound heavy but it was a brease. Just pay attention to spelling and if your WAMP is another drive other than C: then make sure you replace C: with the correct drive.

Good luck and thanks again. This saved me many hours of head ache.

Posted by: htmlvisions (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: June 06, 2009 05:51PM

PS

When changing your local and testing server info make sure to add your domain name after localhost in the url settings and don't forget the trailing forward slash.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.