Newbie questions
Posted by: Mel_3 (---.194.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2008 07:09PM

I'm confused about what WampServer is.

It mentions...
Apache (web server)
PHP (server side script language)
MySQL (data base)

Apache is installable on Windows and PHP & MySQL run under Apache... as I understand it... (newbie here smiling smiley

1 - Is WampServer an application that installs all of the above on my XP Pro PC or what?
2 - We have just setup our first GoDaddy hosting site and want to put a simple MySQL db up there to learn PHP & MySQL... will Wamp work with GoDaddy... or does it just run locally for local development... or what?

This may be on the website but if so didn't explain it so that it went into my thick head smiling smiley

thanks for any help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2008 07:12PM by Mel_3.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie questions
Posted by: toivo (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 19, 2008 10:42PM

Hi,

1) Yes

2) I do not think you can install a web server on GoDaddy, you can just use the servers they have installed.

You can install WAMP for local development but you can also install it in a data centre on a dedicated server box or into a guest host in a virtual server environment, no problems.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Re: Newbie questions
Posted by: onefreewalk (---.util-tel.net)
Date: September 22, 2008 08:23PM

Mel_3,

The easiest thing to do to learn what you need to learn, is to start studying php.net,
or use the www.w3schools.com to get all of the [webstandard] teaching you can for free.

But you cannot do any of that until you can put your PHP and MySQL somewhere.

First find out if your hosting package will support what your trying to learn, PHP, MySQL,
Perl, ASP or what have you. IF and only if they do, then rock on. But if they do not, then your going to have
to install WAMP, and start saving your work to the C://wamp/www folder and test it thru [localhost].

Good luck,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.