I'm to this point, now what?
Posted by: rattrap (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: June 29, 2008 02:41PM

Alright let me describe my situation. I'm trying to host something called a KOpanel. All it is, is a useful tool to help me host a game called knight online without doing all the technical, time consuming edits to it's database. Normally this tool is available to everyone so that they can use this tool to edit my DB without my being here. It will allow them to register, change stats, ect ect ect. This KOpanel uses a PHP script and I was recommended this program by another server host.

Alright, now that you get the idea of what I'm doing, I'm to this point. I have set the web page up already and I can view it just fine (www.thechosenfewKO.com). However other people can't seem to view it.
One of my friends even got the error that said something close to a firewall might be blocking access. That's all fine and dandy except my firewall is disabled... and my port 80 is fowarded on the router.

So now what? How can I make this web page public?

P.S. I'm not the smartest person in the world and a detailed explanation would help very much....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm to this point, now what?
Posted by: Jamesking55 (---.range86-139.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 29, 2008 03:08PM

some routers don't allow you to portforward port 80 even though it says portfrwarded it probably isnt

here is a little workaround, you need to open up "httpd.conf" (the apache config file) and edit:

Where it says "listen 80" change to "listen 81"

Now just portforward port 81 instead and try again

hope it works!

Also you may have to browse to [localhost] instead of just localhost, depends.... try it anyway

tell me if it works too!

Date: June 29, 2008 03:24PM

I tried it and other people still can't access it.
Apache
Listen 70.178.183.12:81
Listen 81

These are the settings at the moment. On the router,
Start 81
End 81
IP 192.168.1.105
Protocol: TCP

EDIT: Don't worry so much on IP.. I think it just means it was fowarded by that static IP. I can only change the numbers at the end (105)*(105 because it is the only way people can connect to my server)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2008 03:26PM by rattrap.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2008 03:25PM

You need at least 4 things: server in online mode, port enable in all firewalls, port forward in all routers, and dns settings; check these instruction to get the ideas

[guides.jlbn.net]

[guides.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2008 03:26PM by yfastud.

Date: June 29, 2008 04:07PM

I will come back in 2 or 3 days with a result.

Thanks for the help and I hope this works.

Date: June 29, 2008 07:29PM

It must work as you can access any website in my signature, which are running from my computers

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: July 03, 2008 10:25AM

Question.. maybe I should have asked this before hand. (I'm a noob with webhosting forgive me)

I think I know my problems.. Everything seems to be set up. I think what is wrong is my apache settings. So what would I need to do to have the domain name thechosenfewko.com show the KOpanel that I have set up in my www directory?

Date: July 03, 2008 03:40PM

Then, you need to follow this guide, and just setup only 1 site instead 3 as shown

[guides.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.