Is WS safe for production machines?
Posted by: crabpot8 (129.59.96.---)
Date: June 21, 2008 06:12AM

Hi.

I would really like to avoid the hassle of setting up/securing AMP

So - is wampserver safe for a production box?

I think I should probably remove phpmyadmin, and set a password for mysql. Any other suggestions? This box is going to be on a college network - so it has to be pretty secure as there are viruses/crap floating all around the network

thanks in advance,
crab

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is WS safe for production machines?
Posted by: toivo (203.19.130.---)
Date: June 21, 2008 01:27PM

Hi,

This previous post may answer your question:
[forum.wampserver.com]

You can search this forum for other answers - after you have submitted the search, just click 'Click here to return to the search screen.' to see the results.

Securing any servers in your environment is a challenge, unless they are tucked away safely behind an industry strength firewall in a DMZ :-)

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Re: Is WS safe for production machines?
Posted by: crabpot8 (---.n1.vanderbilt.edu)
Date: June 23, 2008 06:12PM

Thanks for the links.

The things I have done so far are to give the root mysql user a password, remove the blank user with the blank password (I think its for ODBC) and remove phpmyadmin.

I am not sure what firewalls to install / what ports need to be open. This is a machine for streaming video content, so the only ports I can think of are apache's 80, and the mysql 3306. (and probably RDP) but do you have a good link for what ports to leave open. I am guessing windows firewall is not enough - any good programs would be appreciated too. I honestly thought about putting zonealarm on it.

crab

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.