How do I configure WAMP to be on only the local area network & not accessible by external connections or from the Internet?
Posted by: cheddarcheese (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: June 01, 2008 08:50AM

Hi I'm quite new to PHP, MySQL and Apache, and I'm glad I found this great software which provides easy usage of these 3 components. However, I will like to configure WAMP to be on only my local area network (accessible by only workstations in my network) and not accessible by external connections outside my network or by the Internet. How do I do so?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I configure WAMP to be on only the local area network & not accessible by external connections or from the Internet?
Posted by: toivo (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 01, 2008 09:16AM

Easy - you just configure your router not to forward any traffic from the internet to the particular workstation you are running WAMP on. Easy because that is usually the default setting in any router :-)

If you want to be doubly sure, you can create an .htaccess file and put it to the document root which allows traffic only from your subnet (replace 192.168.1 with your actual subnet):

Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from 192.168.1

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Re: How do I configure WAMP to be on only the local area network & not accessible by external connections or from the Internet?
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: June 01, 2008 10:58AM

it is already like this.. you dont need to do anything,,, just make sure wamp is OFFLOINE

left click wamp icon and make sure it says "Working Offline"

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2008 04:22PM

Toivo's suggestion is good for you since you have to put your server in online mode in order to gain access through out your LAN, so you must have settings to allow only your LAN ip's in your router(s) if possible; if not, you can use .htaccess for it
BTW, when your wamp in offline mode, only computer that has wamp gains access, not the whole LAN

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.