cant change attributes of remote files
Posted by: tintinw (---.dclient.hispeed.ch)
Date: May 25, 2008 04:30PM

hi

i have a question. i installed WAMPserver i have FileZilla too. now i would like to know, why i can't change the attributes of my files.

i installed a component from Joomla & it needs to have a permission. the file extension has a -644 attributes. & when i change the attributes it says "can't change attributes of remote files"

Does WAMPserver has something to do about this?

thanks for your help in advance

regards

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cant change attributes of remote files
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: May 25, 2008 04:39PM

It's window and cmod won't work, and you can only use windows property to change Read-Only and Hidden

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: May 25, 2008 04:46PM

Hi yfstud

yes, thats true if I just use the Windows Explorer browsing the files in the WAMP directories. but when I access the 'webserver' (wamp/localhost) via FTP, the files are shown with 644. When I try to change the permissions with the ftp client I get the message '"can't change attributes of remote files". I think that because 'apache' is the 'owner' of these files. There must be a way to change permissions/owner...

Any idea?

Thank you

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: May 25, 2008 04:54PM

As mentioned, FTP uses cmod function which won't work on windows, so even you try files outside wamp folder in which 'apache' is NOT the 'owner', you still get the same result

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: May 25, 2008 05:01PM

ok, hmmm.... I understand this. But why are the file permissions still shown as 666, some 664 some 777. When I put the FM.PHP tool in the wamp folder. I'm able to change 666 to 444 but not to 777. Any idea how i can make all the files listed with 777?

I'm having problems with writing to this directory from a joomla component installed in a directroy in the wamp server...

thanks

Posted by: pappathan (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2008 10:49PM

I know this is little consolation, but my users with FileZilla had to switch to ws-Ftp due to the permission problem you mention.
Once they did switch they were able to change permissions successfully.
This was not a server or WAMP problem.
(There seems to be an access bug in FileZilla)

Hope this helps,

Paul

Date: May 26, 2008 11:06PM

thanks for the info. but it seems it's working now, i used Total Commander as my FTP client. I decided to work not locally & i was able to change the permission. but if i work locally, i'm getting the error.
so i'm not sure what's causing the problem
thanks guys for helping

regards.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.