Need help or link to get mysql working in wamp
Posted by: CFH (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2008 04:17AM

Hi all,

I'm sure this gets asked often, but I still can't find an answer here or anywhere.

I downloaded and installed wamp. I already had php and mysql functioning on vista which came with sql server, but I wanted the apache setup so I just went with wamp. I never really did anything with mysql before, but I was paranoid and I do think I ended up getting the root user setup with a password back when I first downloaded mysql (pre-wamp installation).

Anyway, I have one small issue and one larger one.

1. When I try to run phpmyadmin, it kicks error 1045. I think maybe, somehow, either my old installation of mysql is still the one being used or the new one adopted the old root user password. I've tried removing it with some commands I found on the web (the command was to change the password, but I tried to set it to nothing). It didn't work.

I'm not even positive that is the problem. When I ran the wamp exe, I don't think it ever gave me any options about where to put stuff.

Anyway, is there some kind of paricular install hierchy that's required for mysql to work right? Is there some place in an ini file I can add the password that seems to be still attached to the root user? I tried one place and that didn't work (in the ini file....think it was for 'default user').

Should I just delete apache and mysql and reinstall or something? I seem to have gotten the php working (I had it working before), but it seems to copy files from websites in the 'my documents' folder to the root folder of the apache install.

2. Is there a place to go in apache and specify other folders that are to be served via apache (so the php in the pages works) or do I just have to move all my sites into that wamp folder on the c drive?

I'm sure that isn't a very clear post but I'm just not sure how to get this working and it's irritating the crap out of me. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

CFH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help or link to get mysql working in wamp
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2008 04:30AM

You have to uninstall your old mysql and delete its registry before installing this wamp

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: May 24, 2008 05:08AM

Thanks for the reply!

Not sure which registry entry to remove but I can probably find that thru google. I guess I'll find that out, then uninstall everything and start fresh with wamp.

CFH

Date: May 24, 2008 01:19PM

Well, not sure why, but while I was messing around looking for the uninstall in both the control panel and in the root folder for wamp, I ended up getting things working. Either clicking on some file in the wamp root folder fixed the problem, or turning off the IIS service in the windows services control in the add/remove programs (or it's vista equivalent) did it.

Now I just need to figure out two small things:

1. How to secure the root user which doesn't have a password
2. How to tell wamp that I want a folder in the 'my documents' folder to serve files through apache/wamp.

Any help would be appreciated.

CFH

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2008 05:33PM

Follow my instruction guide to setup password

[guides.jlbn.net]

And this guide for running website w/ wamp

[guides.jlbn.net]

And some other guides if interested ;-)

[guides.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.