Running Server from DSL line
Posted by: nemec (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: April 28, 2008 08:17AM

Hi

I have WAMP installed successfully, I have a few php/mysql projects all running with no problems.

I need to be able to have users test my sites, but do not want to upload my projects to a hosting company!
I want to run them from my own server.

I have a static IP address and a business ISP account, so I don't think I will have problems with the ISP blocking ports!?

I have a D-LINK DSL-G624M wireless router, I need to know how to do port-forwarding - I think?!? Yes, I do.
No 'I think' about it!

One of my projects is a chess site. I want people to be able to goto, say, www.mychessprojectrocks.com and it comes to my server running on my computer, in my house! I do not have a clue just how this is done!

Any pointers to good tutorials would be appreciated! I have tried to follow lots of tutorials all over the web, but simply get stuck on things not getting explained anywhere near the level I need them to be... I need the absolute basics here folks!

oh yeah - because I have the WAMP server running ok, under localhost, please do not asume that I know too much about the internet and IP addresses, and ports/port-forwarding and Virtual Hosts and 'put online' Did I mention I need the absolute basics?

I know all these things are involved, just how and where is the problem! there is so much, but- I actually feel I am close to doing this, but also far off! at the same time.

thanks
Nemec

(I laugh at aliens)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2008 08:27AM by nemec.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Running Server from DSL line
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2008 01:46PM

Date: April 30, 2008 08:20AM

Hi thanks for you reply!

After carefully, very carefully, following the Virtual Host and the LAN & Worldwide Access guides, When I come to putting in [*mystaticIPaddress]* I keep getting the login page/prompt for my wireless router, as though I have typed [192.168.1.1]

So close, and yet so far...

Also, my router is the D-LINK one, and you have a pic of it in the LAN & Worldwide Access - BUT...
the section for protocol shows [IP (0) 80/80] - guess what! I can't do this, there is no setting to do this! Mine just has TCP 80/80?

I have tried the guides three times, and will try once more... on my own, but I await any reply with anticipation! thanks for your help.

...what am I missing!

Nemec

(I laugh at aliens)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2008 08:22AM by nemec.

Date: April 30, 2008 01:23PM

I keep getting the login page/prompt for my wireless router, as though I have typed [192.168.1.1]
That's not right, you have to do port forward to your computer ip, then access w/ your computer ip too, not the ip reserved for your router

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: April 30, 2008 09:58PM

My computer ip is 192.168.1.2 (I access my wirless with 192.168.1.1) I have a static IP WAN address.

After I have gone through your guides, and get to the part where I put the WAMP online, and open a browser and type in

http://[*myStaticIpAddress*] my site is not showing up!

Instead I keep getting a prompt to login into my router...

could this be the ISP blocking port 80? (but on a business account I doubt it)

help!!!
Nemec
(I laugh at aliens)

Date: April 30, 2008 10:28PM

To see if your isp block port 80, try this:

Open file httpd.conf in folder C:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.2.8\conf then find

listen 80

Then change to:

listen 81

Save the file and restart your wamp, also, set permission for port 81 in firewall; then try again w/ "[];

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.