Request: profiles
Posted by: Deebster (---.mrswebsolutions.com)
Date: April 23, 2008 10:51AM

Hi,

First: WampServer is great, cheers.

Second: it would be very useful if WampServer supported profiles, each profile specifying versions and settings. This would allow people to have WampServer mimic each different production server, for easier testing and development.

If this is unlikely to be implemented, I could code (and post) a script to handle it, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who might find this useful. A brief look around the alternatives suggests no-one else has this feature.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Request: profiles
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: April 23, 2008 02:06PM

Wamp has add-ons and you can install and select it/them through wamp tray icon

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: April 23, 2008 02:33PM

Yes, I'd looked in the add-ons section.

Are you saying a profile add-on exists, or that I should/could write one?

Date: April 23, 2008 03:28PM

Yep, since wamp mostly for developers, you can write 1 for yourself and if you like to share, you can post it too ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 03:46PM

yfastud was trying to say that wamp already has the abilty to switch versions of mysql php and apache at the click of a button...

left click the wamp icon, go to apache for example.. and go to version,,, a list of the installed versions will show and the one thats running is ticked,,,]

there is only one of each installed by default,,, u can download more in the add-ons section on the site,. wen u download and install them they will show up onthe list..

the installerwould be far to big to download all in one go.. so people can download only the ones they need.

but possibly a profile section on the menu wud be good were u can select say PROFILE 1 and its a setting of a certain apache, php and mysql...

it wud be easy to build but maybe not so nessesary as in 3 clicks u cud have the same thing done

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2008 03:51PM by stevenmartin99.

Date: April 23, 2008 06:28PM

No, I don't think he was...

Changing just the versions isn't too bad, but when you need to get right every one of the Apache modules, PHP extensions and PHP settings, well that's quite a lot of hassle to get right.

yfastud, I may well write this add-on, I'll check the source when I get home.

Date: April 23, 2008 07:31PM

First, as Steven pointed out, its file size is way too big and it's also too much since most people only need 1 apache, 1 mysql, and 1 php
Second, different people have different interests; 1 might want 2 php but another might want 2 mysql; w/ different single add-on, user only download and install what he needs ;-)
It's good to write your own script based on your need; for example, I have my own hosting script which satisfies my need only, I guess ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: April 24, 2008 10:18AM

This thread has got a little lost... obviously I'm not suggesting the package installs every version, I just want something to allow the saving and loading of certain configurations (based on what each user has installed).

My question "was does it exist?", the answer was "no, write it yourself". And that's fine.

Date: April 24, 2008 01:27PM

He he... he he... ;-)
Don't be upset; did not get what you mean at first; anyway, most functions and features are in wamp tray icon; if it's not there, it's not included ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (212.129.95.---)
Date: April 24, 2008 03:23PM

this hasnt got lost at all... Forf that to work ud have to have every version installed... And if u had them installed then u cud just select them on the tray menu... Its not so clear what ur looking for.. Is it just that u want a button to press that will change all 3 pakages at once? And u can save different varaites of these on the menu? Yes its a good idea. But i dont think its advantage is worth the coding... Ud need to check which versions are installed then have a section where they can select the versionm they weant of each apache mysql and php and then allow them to save it as a profile name... Not complicated to code as it kinda alreasdy does this but just not all 3 engines at once so look at the code it uses to do that and modify it.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: April 24, 2008 05:14PM

And here I was thinking I'd been quite clear...

One last try:

When you look at the combination of version and MODULES and SETTINGS and EXTENSIONS there are many ways a server could be configured.

Eg, with only the single default versions of Apache, PHP and MySQL, there's still 40 Apache modules + 26 + PHP settings + 108 PHP extensions settings to get right, and I make that about 24 thousand million million million million million million possible configurations.

Once you've set up WampServer to the same configuration as the production server, you SAVE the profile. This includes versions but is still useful even if you've not added any extra.

From there you can return to that profile by LOADing it. If you haven't installed any extra versions, then you don't have the option loading of a profile with a different version. Simple! Simple?

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: April 24, 2008 06:32PM

ok .. not easy to build. but would be good..

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: May 22, 2008 02:34PM

I have had no luck finding any add-on documentation, or any source code. The sourceforge CVS is empty and the downloads are only binaries... Have I missed something?

Posted by: Tribune (---.hsd1.ky.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2008 06:12AM

This is really not related to the question much, but I was wanting to ask what is a "profile" and how is it saved..

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2008 06:13AM by Tribune.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.