WAMP secure?
Posted by: merker19 (132.183.4.---)
Date: April 10, 2008 09:25PM

Hi-
I've been researching WAMP as of late and I see a lot of posts where users only recommend it's use in a test environment. My questions are why and can it be made secure? Obviously, by adding AMP, you're adding these extra services to be made accessible via the web... and were they to be compromised, would that mean access to W(indows) itself? Just some of the thoughts running through my paranoid head.

I have a Windows XP box at home that I run primarily as a server with services such as: SSH, SFTP, OpenVPN, GB-PVR, DynDNS, Newsgroup downloading, MS share and backup data to it --with holes punched in my firewall for ONLY SSH and OpenVPN. I have multiple drives in my server and I have considered installing WAMP onto an 80gig drive off on it's own like a DMZ, but I'm not even sure if that is really offering any kind of security. My other thought was to install Ubuntu and LAMP onto an old IBM Thinkpad 570 I have and run it off of that, but I'd prefer to keep it all on this one server instead of growing my small server setup into a small server farm with misfit pc's powering it. Any input into the securing of WAMP, peoples thoughts on WAMP as a public server, how to set it up and any thoughts of securing Windows in the harsh environs of cyberspace would be greatly appreciated. Thx!
merker19

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP secure?
Posted by: toivo (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 10, 2008 10:41PM

Hi,

This previous post will have some info for you:

[forum.wampserver.com]

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Re: WAMP secure?
Posted by: merker19 (---.partners.org)
Date: April 10, 2008 10:48PM

Excellent. Thanks. It looks like I'll have some good reading this evening. Yes, currently my firewall is up and I've only punched a few holes in it for SSH and OpenVPN and of course 80 for WAMP in the future.

Thanks again. If anyone else has any other thoughts or opinions on this subject, I'd love to hear more.

toivo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> This previous post will have some info for you:
>
> [forum.wampserver.com],
> 33344#msg-33344
>
> Regards,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.