private or public network in Vista
Posted by: LPent (88.234.49.---)
Date: April 10, 2008 01:46PM

I am getting confused.
I set up WAMP on my desktop running Vista Premium.
My network was set to Public.
When WAMP was set online, I could view the websites from my notebook running XP home.
However, this did not allow me to view the shared folders and printers on either computer, so I set the network to Private. Now I can access shared folders and printers, but I can no longer view the websites on my vista wamp server on my notebook.
What is the best solution here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: private or public network in Vista
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2008 02:47PM

Even you have only 1 site, you can setup Virtual Host to view your website from other computers. If not sure how to, check Setup Virtual Host guide on my personal website

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: LPent (---.242-12728.ttnet.net.tr)
Date: April 10, 2008 03:19PM

Ok, I tried this, and it doesn't work. Besides I don't feel comfortable with this approach.
I want a solution where I can just type <computername>/<subdomain> in the addressbar of the browser.
Again, this worked flawlessly when I had my network settings in Vista set to PUBLIC. But now it is set to PRIVATE and it doesn't work anymore. Both computers are on the same LAN (wireless router).
There must be a simple solution.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (193.120.116.---)
Date: April 10, 2008 04:34PM

well this is vistas problem. Not wamp. If ur wamp server is set -online- other computers shud be able to see it by using ip adress- or computer name. Are both machines running vista? I have this working on vista to xp . Ill try vista to vista wen i get home in 10 -mins and ill let u know wat network settings i use in vista

Posted by: LPent (---.242-12728.ttnet.net.tr)
Date: April 10, 2008 05:37PM

I suspect it is the "Windows Collaboration Computer Name Registration Service" which is disabled. I can't test it right now as my laptop is not here, but I will try it tomorrow and see if that solves the problem.
@stevenmartin: It is vista premium on the desktop running WAMP and a notebook running xp home.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: April 10, 2008 06:51PM

i have this running fine here. settings in vista are

Private network

network discoverey on
file sharing on
public folder sharing on
printer sharing on

this works by using http:/COMPUTERNAME/FILENAME.PHP on either xp or vista..

Posted by: LPent (88.236.72.---)
Date: April 13, 2008 01:18PM

Ok, I got it working again... it was indeed the "Windows Collaboration Computer Name Registration Service" which was blocked by the windows firewall. Somehow switching from public to private did this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.