I need help getting my SQL database onto my apache web server
Posted by: cshell_1987 (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: April 03, 2008 06:34AM

I am a Computer Networking student at ITT Tech. We have a class project. I have volunteered for the database portion. All the project requires is a simple database from Access, but seeeing as this project spans 11 weeks, I would get bored after the first couple of weeks. I have heard of MYSQL before and I decided I was going to expereiment with this program.

What I would like to do is: Create a database using MYSQL, then integrate the database onto our Apache web server using PHP. My only problem is I have no idea or guidance on how to do this, I have just been googling with little helpful results. Another classmate is setting up the Apache web server using Fedora Core 5 Linux. I just need to make the database and the code to move the database onto the website. I set up an apache web server several months ago in my introduction to Linux class but it's been a while, I'm using a different operating system for this, and there is no one present to answer my questions and guide me.

*The OS on the Apache web server is Fedora Core 5.

*The OS I am using to set up Apache, PHP, and MYSQL is Windows XP SP2 (my computer is set up to dual boot with Windows Vista and XP, I don't feel like adding a 3rd OS)

*I have downloaded WAMPSERVER 2.0 as well as Workbench (GUI for MYSQL).

*I would like to get the database running an a test Apache web server and then save the database file and php code to my flash drive, take it to school and move the data onto the Linux Apache web server and set up everything at school.

This needs to be a simple web site, with a simple one table database that people viewing the website can view and perform queries. I finished creating my database by using workbench, then I discovered you can use the PHP my admin to create a database through your browser, oh well.

I have been trying to find tutorials to help walk me through setting up Apache, and using PHP code to get the database onto the web server. I haven't made very much progress, most tutorials assume I know something that I do not. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need help getting my SQL database onto my apache web server
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2008 05:21PM

*I would like to get the database running an a test Apache web server and then save the database file and php code to my flash drive, take it to school and move the data onto the Linux Apache web server and set up everything at school.
That might be the problem because the file structures and paths are different from windows and *nix

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2008 05:21PM by yfastud.

Date: April 03, 2008 05:55PM

I know that Linux is usually in the EXT3 file system and windows is NTFS, but I figured all the coding for PHP would be the same and the MYSQL database file would have no problem being transfered to a differennt operating system on a different box, am I wrong?

Date: April 03, 2008 06:03PM

As mentioned, the paths are different, so you should use phpmyadmin to export then import db

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: April 03, 2008 08:30PM

I am going to set up the database on my classmate's Linux box tomorrow. I have the database finished. I just need to know the code in order to get the database onto the web site.

Can you please point me in the right direction.

Date: April 03, 2008 08:57PM

Assume you have no problem w/ coding, check Setup Password and Setup Virtual Host guides on my personal website to get idea. If setting for only 1 domain, just skip all subdomains

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: toivo (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 04, 2008 09:31AM

Hi,

If you are using Workbench, you can go to MySQL Administrator and do a backup of your database in WAMP. Copy the backup file which has the database name, date as yyyymmdd and time as hhmm and extension .sql to the flash drive and take it to the school.

If you have MySQL Administrator installed on a workstation and have access to the Linux server, you can then restore the database from the backup file on the workstation to the Linux server.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.