Authentication on WAMP's main page
Posted by: raph (---.pece.poli.usp.br)
Date: March 26, 2008 06:52PM

Hi !

i did like to know how do i make authentication for WAMPs mainpage (http://localhost), cause i don't want anyone accessing my server files from this page. Is that possible?

I'm very worried cause from the main page anyone can have access to important files like php.ini, httpd, config.php, etc. So that's why i want to make this page password protected, soh anyone can help me plz?

thanks!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Authentication on WAMP's main page
Posted by: veni (---.83-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: March 26, 2008 07:03PM

One easy way would be to create a .htaccess and .htpasswd

follow what I did:

First, I went to www.htaccesstools.com

There, I used the ".htaccess Authentication" link and it generated some code. I inserted this code into the top of my .htaccess file in my www folder (downloading, editing it in Notepad, and then reuploading it). It's important that you get the ".htpasswd File Location" correct (I made it the same location as where I stuck my .htaccess file).

Next, ues the ".htpasswd password" link and enter your username and desired password. It will generate an encrypted line of text. This, you put into a new Notepad document, and save it as .htpasswd (make sure there's no .txt extension). This I uploaded into the same folder as the previous .htaccess file.

Type localhost and
now, it should all work!

Posted by: raph (---.pece.poli.usp.br)
Date: March 26, 2008 07:57PM

Thank for the quick reply! =D

i made it all like you said e verything was ok until i tryed to login in. The password seens to not mach with the encryted one. But if i edit the .htpasswd with the non-encrypted password, it logs me in!

i wonder what happened? o.o"

Posted by: veni (---.83-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: March 26, 2008 08:36PM

Raph, I fixed the problem. Go here and make sure you take the MD5 type password.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.