Wamp5 wont run without ethernet plugged
Posted by: wickedmx (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: March 25, 2008 05:52AM

Firstly a couple of things to note - 1 I'm using Vista(business) and 2 I'm pretty new to running a local server for testing.

I have wampserver installed on my laptop and all is working pretty good(in fact it's been a godsend). However, the other day I went to see a client and show them the progress of their website thinking I'd just be able to open it on my laptop as usual.

So there I am, wampserver's running, I open up IE7 and the damn site won't come up. So I think I'll try Firefox; still no go. So then I have a brain wave and ask if i can temporarily connect to their network. All of a sudden everything works fine.

So then i do another test and come to realize that wampserver will only work when I am actually connected to a real network. The questions I have are:

1) Is this just a Vista thing and if so does anyone know a work around?
2) Is this because I need to change my DNS settings when not connected to a network and if so what should I change them to?

any help will be much appreciate as part of the point of using this test environment is so I can keep working while not connected to the internet.

Thanks
Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wamp5 wont run without ethernet plugged
Posted by: toivo (---.belrs4.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 25, 2008 08:36AM

Hi,

I have not tried wampserver on Vista, but I doubt it would be different from XP in this regard. If you have inserted dummy domains into the host file, DNS will not be an issue in an offline development environment and your wampserver should work all right.

On the other hand, you may be running an application like a CMS in one of your virtual hosts that is more sensitive to the availability of the internet connection.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Re: Wamp5 wont run without ethernet plugged
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2008 01:11PM

I'm running wamp on both xp and vista and never had any problem w/ it. Did you edit any config file? For some apps, it depends on what domain you setup while installing it. If using domain name instead localhost, even fake domain, it might requires internet in order to retrieve domain information

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.