Help Setting Up Indivual Sites Locally
Posted by: CBStrauss (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2008 07:58PM

Hello, I been using wampServer for years now to design and test my web pages local before moving them to a live server. My issue is when im working on a a site locally sometimes I got mulitple sites im working on and the way i been doing it is going into the httpd.config and changing the DOCUMENT_ROOT line to point the project im lookng as you can guess its tedidous process.

the lines im refering too are these:

DocumentRoot "c:/wamp/www/"
# DocumentRoot "c:/wamp/www/site1"
# DocumentRoot "c:/wamp/www/site2"
# DocumentRoot "C:/wamp/www/site3"
# DocumentRoot "C:/wamp/www/site4"
# DocumentRoot "C:/wamp/www/site5"
# DocumentRoot "C:/wamp/www/site6"

and so on.

My question is this. First of all im not very server savvey. So I live by the rule if i dont know what it does I dont mess with it when it comes to this kinda of stuff. But what I want to do is set up wamp is to not have to modify the DocumentRoot lines all the time just be able to create a new folder to put my new site stored in my wamp/www/ folder and be able to access any of them by typing in localhost/site1 for example or any other way through the address bar.

Im not sure if i should set up this up via VirtualHost or Alias or what so any suggestions and help to accomplish this would be greatfully appreaciated. Keep in mind I dont want any of this to be live just to simualte an actual server i would normally upload websites too. that way if i want to link a few sites together I can add a link on one site and click it and open another site.

I hope I explained my promblem good enough, someone knows what Im trying to accomplish thank you for your input

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help Setting Up Indivual Sites Locally
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2008 10:00PM

You should check Setup Virtual Host guide on my personal website, and you don't need real domain for it to work

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.