Services not starting
Posted by: bobdinkel (---.genesis.csps.com)
Date: March 21, 2008 04:40PM

I've installed WAMP 2.0b on a fresh copy of Windows XP running in Parallels Desktop 3.0. WAMP is installed on a network drive and the drive is available. Whenever I select "start all services", nothing happens. The services don't start and there are no messages in any log file. It just looks like it in no way responds to me trying to start it. Any thoughts?

Sorry if this has already been answered--the forum search doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Services not starting
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2008 10:23PM

WAMP is installed on a network drive
I guess that's the problem since I've seen people fail to try it :-(

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: toivo (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 22, 2008 04:32AM

Hi,

About Search: have you tried clicking "Click here to return to the search screen."? That shows the results :-)

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Posted by: codewizard (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 08:27AM

*lmao* too bad the page didn't explain that. I almost gave up. Decided to try the search again, click that link and voila my searches were there. That is bizarre.

in order to start services on a differant machine (and I am sure that Parrells acts like a different machine) you will have to connect remotely (through manage, assuming you have remote access turned on) and logon (assuming you have admin rights) and then start the services. There are some utilities out there that can do it for you (winutils.com , now a M$ company), and you can connect via command line.

Once you get the commands I suggest you set up a shortcut on your desktop to a batch file (or kixtart file) or use WSH to do the dirty work of starting everything.

--------------------------------------------------------
[tenminutesports.com] --- Nothing but sports headlines. No java, ajax, scripting, idiotic videos shoved down your throat, and no bloated graphics. JUST SPORTS HEADLINES! Tell your friends

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2008 08:45AM by codewizard.

Date: March 24, 2008 05:37PM

So that's how you get the search results? Wow. Forgive me for saying so, but that is one awkward and (for me at least) non-intuitive UI. At the very least the text "Click here to return to the search screen" should say something like "Click here to see your search results".
Thanks for the clarification.

Date: March 24, 2008 05:42PM

It looks like the problem was installing it on a networked drive. Even though that resource was available WAMP wouldn't start. I tried installing WAMP to the C drive and just putting the docroot on the networked drive. When I did that, everything but Apache would start. So my "solution" was to just install everything to the C drive and mount the docroot as an SMB share on my mac. I'm not thrilled with that, but at least it's something. Thanks for your help.

Posted by: msteudel (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 08:21PM

Wow I've always wanted to know how to get the search results ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.