access to network shares or network drives
Posted by: jeremy (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2008 03:25AM

I've just installed WAMPServer today for the first time and have struggled for a few hours with this issue. I need "www/music" to point to a network share (which I also have mapped as a network drive). In Unix I might just create a symbolic link, but since I'm on Windows I'm trying to setup an Apache alias.

This is the alias I'm trying to get working:

Alias /music "\\192.168.1.73\Qmultimedia\music\mp3_albums\"

<Directory "\\192.168.1.73\Qmultimedia\music\mp3_albums\">
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride all
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Directory>

Apache launches but the folder /music reports "You don't have permission to access /music/ on this server." However, if I rename the URL to gibberish I get the same response, so I don't think Apache is even accessing the network. The assumption appears to be confirmed by the Apache docs here:

[httpd.apache.org]

Specifically: "By default, all Apache services are registered to run as the system user (the LocalSystem account). The LocalSystem account has no privileges to your network via any Windows-secured mechanism, including the file system, named pipes, DCOM, or secure RPC. It has, however, wide privileges locally."

I have tried in vain to get the service to run as another user. Changing the user & group settings in httpd.conf to my username doesn't seem to work. I've also tried using the mapped network drive as the alias, but in that case the Apache service won't even launch. I wouldn't think this would be an uncommon issue. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: access to network shares or network drives
Posted by: jeremy (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2008 05:16AM

I just found this helpful post that seemingly walks one through the necessary steps:
[everything2.com]

...but after following it I still can't access network shares through Apache. Any further suggestions?

Re: access to network shares or network drives
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2008 12:13PM

You should follow my Setup Virtual Host guide on my personal website instead

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.