PHP not working at all
Posted by: gnylakai (---.dhcp.hckr.nc.charter.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 07:23AM

I'm a bit of a newb to php, but still a good coder and can't seem to find out what is up with php on wampserver2. I have two similar code examples that should both output the same thing, yet neither of them work properly. I downloaded wampserver2 and installed it properly, but I still don't understand what is wrong. Here are the examples and their output:

Example 1:

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<TITLE>My First PHP Page</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<?php

echo "<p>Hello World!</p>";

?>

</BODY>

</HTML>

**********OUTPUT***********

Hello World!

"; ?>

---------------------------------------------
Example2:

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<TITLE>My First PHP Page</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<?php

echo "Hello World!";

?>

</BODY>

</HTML>

**********OUTPUT***********

Thats right... nothing. I am pretty positive that this is the standard convention for the php "Hello World" 'program' and I still can't seem to get it right. I'm not sure if there is a minor flaw, or if php is not installed correctly on my computer. Everything in WampServer is running and online, and my files are located in the C/Wamp/www directory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PHP not working at all
Posted by: toivo (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 14, 2008 09:18AM

Hi,

Even though your examples are minimal in terms of HTML, both of them produce the greeting all right when run in a working server. Did you change any of the default settings?

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Posted by: gnylakai (---.dhcp.hckr.nc.charter.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 05:47AM

My server is running correctly, as best to my knowledge. I'm running Apache 2.2.8, and when I type localhost in my firefox browser, the wampserver page comes up with the Server Configuration page.

I have not messed with any of the settings of any of the wampserver files, or the apache files. I have installed it on this computer before and everything worked fine, but due to a recent system restore I installed it again and I'm getting the incorrect output.

I'm just trying to run a basic dynamic html/php page with only an echo command, and I'm getting the wrong results. Any other tips or steps I can take to diagnosing the problem?

Thanks,

Rob
U.S.A., North Carolina

Posted by: toivo (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 15, 2008 08:50AM

Try this:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

You should see the PHP configuration, nicely formatted in an HTML table.

Do you how the system was restored? Was it restored from an image of a working system? You may have to go back to the basics or to a clean install of the operation system to get to a known state and then re-install WAMP.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2008 05:00PM

Did you save them as php files? Make sure to disable "Hide known extension..." so you can see the real extension of your files

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: geminii71nc2 (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 16, 2008 08:40PM

I get the same thing when I try that! I am new to this to and am using the book php6. Are you using this book too? I show the same code at the end of th e greeting! i HAVE NOT CHANGED ANY SETTINGS ON MY COMPUTER EITHER. iF YOU FIND A SOLUTION PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

Posted by: hambuler (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 16, 2008 10:45PM

Try to run the file without php tags. HTML tags only in php file. Let's see if the output is fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.