Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Step-by-Step to setup the latest version of mysql
Posted by: hambuler (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 09, 2008 11:12PM

You can follow my steps to install the latest version of mysql on Wamp2

****STEP1**** -> copy the whole folder mysql5.#.## to wamp\bin\mysql where # represents a number.
************** Check if the folder mysql and all database files in it actually exist in mysql5.#.##\data folder. If the mysql folder doesn't exist, copy it from a working previous version of mysql.

Check if mysql5.#.##\bin folder and all executable files in it do exist. Check if the folder mysql5.#.##\share exist. If they don't exist, the extraction of the latest version of mysql isn't done properly.

Check if mysql5.#.##\my.ini file exist. If it doesn't exist, copy the file from the previous wokring version of wamp mysql in wamp\bin\mysql\mysql#.#.##. Open the file from the latest mysql version, edit all occurrences of "mysql#.#.##" in that file to the "mysql5.#.##" as the latest version number. For example, if you see the line "basedir=c:/wamp/bin/mysql/mysql5.0.51a" in my.ini file, then edit it to "basedir=c:/wamp/bin/mysql/mysql5.1.23" as mysql5.1.23 is the lastest version you've just downloaded. Normally there are only two occurrences you need to edit: basedir=c:/wamp/bin/mysql/mysql#.#.## and datadir=c:'wamp/bin/mysql/mysql#.#.##/data

****STEP2**** -> copy the wampserver.conf file in the previous version of wamp mysql5.0.## folder to
************** wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.#.## . You may need to open it with notepad and edit the line $mysqlConf['mysqlExeFile'] = 'mysqld-nt.exe'; to $mysqlConf['mysqlExeFile'] = 'mysqld.exe';

Look at the mysql5.#.##\bin directory and find out if there is a mysqld.exe or mysql-nt.exe file. If there is no mysql-nt.exe file, then change that line as mentioned right above.

****STEP3**** -> shutdown the wamp2 server (by right click on wamp tray icon and click exit). Then
************** restart the wamp server. Restart all services. You should see the mysql newest version displayed in wamp mysql menu. Just click on the latest version to enable it, then you have the newest mysql version running with wamp server.

****STEP4**** -> Optional. you might export the mysql database from the previous working version ************** so that you can import all mysql users (root, etc...), passwords and database privilleges to the latest mysql version running. To export: Click on that previous mysql version on Wamp tray icon to enable it.
Open phpmyadmin and log in. Then find the database 'mysql' and export it to a SQL file. Make sure the following fields are clicked and have checked marks: "Add DROP TABLE / DROP VIEW", "Add AUTO_INCREMENT value", "Enclose table and field names with backquotes", "Complete inserts", "Extended inserts", "Use hexadecimal for BLOB" or "Use hexadecimal for binary fields", "Save As File". Then click GO to export mysql database and save the file.

To import the saved database: close phpmyadmin window. Switch back to the latest mysql version and then open phpmyadmin again to login. Choose mysql database and then click import. Browse to the saved SQL file and then click GO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2008 08:02AM by hambuler.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Step-by-Step to setup the latest version of mysql
Posted by: student101 (---.saix.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 09:09AM

I have tried almost all the steps that I could find to upgrade this wamp MySQL system,
Nothing works!

I have searched for 6 days, and they all say the same thing(s).
Everytime I add a different version, even these so called add-ons...
I still get the same error message:

#2003 - Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)

Tried all the firewall stuff, disabled NOD32 rebooted and still no F'n luck here!

(even though I never had to touch NOD32 with the original install)

Is there a secret to this setup?
It makes no sense that MySQL and phpMyadmin can't work together after the upgrade of "mysql-noinstall-5.1.23-rc-win32"

The problem is that after copying the new MySQL I need to setup the MySQL password? or what?
So I open the config.inc file and remove the password currently set.
I also followed these steps: [guides.jlbn.net] (too many times)

F1 how to properly upgrade the MySQL version?

-----------------------
Thanks for your support!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2008 09:29AM by student101.

Date: March 10, 2008 04:21PM

Did you see the mysql newest version displayed on Wamp tray mysql menu?

Date: March 10, 2008 04:29PM

Where, on my pc?
There are certain files and settings that are needed apart from the basic idea that you have.

The administrator/creator/person who knows wont give it to us.
Only these add-on work!

Cheers

-----------------------
Thanks for your support!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2008 04:58PM by student101.

Date: March 11, 2008 07:18AM

I've re-edited the step-by-step to setup the latest version of mysql. There are some misinformation and I've corrected the mistakes. It works.

Date: March 11, 2008 07:28AM

So you are now running mysql-5.1.23

Is your MySQL password set?
Was it set before doing the upgrade?
Are you able to get to phpMyadmin with no hickups?

Cheers

Date: March 11, 2008 07:38AM

So in these steps:

It's stop and exit the services after we do what you say?

or stop and exit the services before we do what you say?

Cheers

-----------------------
Thanks for your support!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2008 07:39AM by student101.

Date: March 11, 2008 08:06AM

I have mysql version 5.1.23 running with wamp server. If you keep the mysql database folder as the original latest version 5.1.23, then only open phpmyadmin after mysql5.1.23 runs successfully. Then just type root as username and no password if you see the phpmyadmin login window.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2008 08:09AM by hambuler.

Date: March 11, 2008 08:18AM

Will try once more.
I have to see if this will work this last time.

-----------------------
Thanks for your support!

Date: March 11, 2008 08:34AM

Thank you this works!

You rock dude!!!

I was at my most irritated point to try and get this to work.
This step makes the difference:

edit the line
$mysqlConf['mysqlExeFile'] = 'mysqld-nt.exe';
to
$mysqlConf['mysqlExeFile'] = 'mysqld.exe';

Thank you.
Even better and quicker!

Cheers

-----------------------
Thanks for your support!

Date: March 11, 2008 08:39AM

The best part...
I can now ALTER / rename my tables using HeidiSQL with no issues!!!

Thanks again.

Being this type of person, if a program can do something, I want to test it.

Classic!

-----------------------
Thanks for your support!

Date: March 11, 2008 03:29PM

Glad to see you make it work.

Date: March 11, 2008 03:56PM

Yip, Thanks

I just wish that the admin / creator people were a bit nicer about it though.

Cheers

-----------------------
Thanks for your support!

Posted by: Wimp_i_Wamp (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2008 10:40PM

Hi,

I am having a problem that is located roughly in this ballpark, but I am not sure what even is the nature of my problem! That is, I may only have a problem with the proper MySQL password. I followed online setup instructions from somebody (probably on these pages) who suggested, I believe, a separate login id/password for the MySQL database (the login ID and password (both) were "hoolahopla" or some such, I believe, so if anyone recognizes this, please ungag yourself!). I did that, and before trying to work with databases, I make sure to log into that particular ID from within phpMyAdmin before trying to create a database from inside localhost. Still, when I execute the PHP file on localhost that is supposed to create my very first database I get an "Unable to connect!" error message. I am following the PHP 101 tutorial with the redoutable Vikram Vaswami and it is here, in Part 8 (databases, including MySQL), that the database is to be created in PHP/SQL on the localhost interface (I am making this assumption, i.e., that it is not necessary to fix anything up inside phpMyAdmin first in order to create a database, but that may be a foolish assumption, as access to a database generally requires "privileges"winking smiley. Anybody have a clue as to what I, a complete NOOB (I am truly a wimp at this!), am doing wrong [start from the beginning, please smiling smiley].

Wimp_i_Wamp

Date: March 13, 2008 11:35PM

I retract all of the above! I need to read Vikram Vaswani's tutorial on MySQL, then most of my problems will probably be solved (at least the most noobie ones). In fact, I have made significant progress since the last posting, so things are looking up.

Sorry everybody!

Wimp_i_Wamp

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2008 03:44AM

Still, when I execute the PHP file on localhost that is supposed to create my very first database I get an "Unable to connect!" error message. I am following the PHP 101 tutorial with the redoutable Vikram Vaswami and it is here, in Part 8 (databases, including MySQL), that the database is to be created in PHP/SQL on the localhost interface
First thing first, after following my Setup Password guide on my personal website, do you have the problem to log in your phpmyadmin or not?
Second, when was that book published? If it's a year or older, probably the syntax is not correct any more, you should consult php website for latest and up-to-date syntax. If you might get lost in php website, you might want to post your codes here so we can help you out; however, it your code is too long, you might want to post the part that connect to db only

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: March 14, 2008 06:50PM

Well, yfastud,

I got it to work all right, it turns out that the problem was embarrassingly simple - all I needed to do was to make sure that the references in the code (name of table and name of table folder, etc.) given in the tutorial corresponded precisely to the names I had chosen while working inside the MySQL interface. Once I got that straightened out, the query from inside the localhost interface worked just fine, it smacked up the desired table with alacrity.

But I have another problem. First of all, working inside the MySQL interface is a strange world for me because it is not like creating a table in, for example, Excel, and then filling out the cells. The creation of tables in SQL occurs by proxy, as it were, yet not a perfect proxy because a perfect proxy would be to just create the tables in PHP from inside one's text editor, i.e., ask PHP to create a special file based on, for example, an Excel file, then use the information in that file to create a table, where one can give each column in that table a title corresponding to the content of the column in question. Maybe one can do this, but I am far from arriving there, and the tutorials I have seen for wampserver2 direct the newbie to the mySQL interface.

Anyways, we are where we are. My current problem can be stated like so: How to specify column header titles in a SQL CREATE TABLE statement? For the life of me, I just can't make the output reflect column titles. The SELECT statement of course mentions some or all of the variables, but when one querries the data/the table and asks for any specific info on these variables, all one gets is the cell data pertaining to these variables, there are no column titles at the top of the table. It is a headless body. Me, I like to see at least a head and a body, if not also feet smiling smiley. So, anybody, how in the devil does one query a table (or jumble of data) and make it spit out not only the data in the cells, but a nice title above each column, in the way that one usually sees a table outside the world of SQL?

Wimp_i_Wamp

Date: March 14, 2008 06:55PM

Where is this tutorial?

-----------------------
Thanks for your support!

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2008 08:31PM

@ student101
google for free php ebook will result a lot and here is 1 ;-)

[www.onlinecomputerbooks.com]

@ Wimp_i_Wamp

So, anybody, how in the devil does one query a table (or jumble of data) and make it spit out not only the data in the cells, but a nice title above each column, in the way that one usually sees a table outside the world of SQL?
Correct me if I'm wrong, you talk about nested tables where table1's fields containing titles of all other tables, so the output of table1 will be other tables' titles and content are from other tables. BTW, I only stated 1 very simple example so you can get the idea, you might find some other way which might be more easy or more advanced ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: March 16, 2008 07:25AM

Wrote yfastud:

Correct me if I'm wrong, you talk about nested tables where table1's fields containing titles of all other tables, so the output of table1 will be other tables' titles and content are from other tables. BTW, I only stated 1 very simple example so you can get the idea, you might find some other way which might be more easy or more advanced ;-)

My reply: You are being a bit unkind, methinks...

I just want any old table at all to reflect the column titles and so far I have not figured out how to do that. If I include an array of titles, or column names, as row one, then with an integer value for any of these columns (like "age"winking smiley, an error report will inform me that it was expecting an integer on line one and the code will fail to execute.

But I have moved on (that problem can wait); I've run into a trickier problem. I have indeed learned how to create and populate tables and to print them to screen in a nice list (using PHP and MySQL by the way), but when I try to list them in a regular table form (in cells), what happens is that the list, which is alphabetical (a listing of countries with "region" and "population" as additional variables), ceases to execute in an orderly fashion (the list is in alphabetical order, remember) at some random point [maybe not so random, it always stops after "Nicaragua" and recommences at "Afhanistan", two countries that my homeland have had a lot of static with smiling smiley], loops back to the beginning, then charges off again, but prints some "s"es, then some "m"s, some "n"s again, etc., it simply goes off the tracks, although it eventually does get to "Zimbabwe" after about 900 entries (there are 193 original entries). What the devil is wrong here?

Here is the code I use to print the table:

// Retrieve all the data from the "worldstats" table
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM worldstats"winking smiley
or die(mysql_error());

// store the record of the "worldstats" table into $row
$row = mysql_fetch_array( $result );
// Print out the contents of the entry

// create query
$query = "SELECT * FROM worldstats";
// execute query
$result = mysql_query($query) or die ("Error in query: $query. ".mysql_error());
// see if any rows were returned
if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0) {
// yes
// print them one after another (note that the "rows" below refer in fact to columns)
echo "<table cellpadding=10 border=1>";

while($row = mysql_fetch_row($result)) {
echo "<tr>";
echo "<td>".$row[0]."</td>";
echo "<td>".$row[1]."</td>";
echo "<td>".$row[2]."</td>";
echo "<td>".$row[3]."</td>";
echo "</tr>";
}
echo "</table>";
}
else {
// no
// print status message
echo "No rows found!";
}

// free result set memory
mysql_free_result($result);

// close connection
mysql_close($connection);

?>

Thanks much,

Wimp_i_Wamp

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.