Server online, offline, what's this?
Posted by: RafaelLopez (201.23.160.---)
Date: March 05, 2008 04:49AM

Hey there guys.

I use this software for some time now to get my pages running local before putting them up. Some time ago I noticed I could change server from offline to online and then back. What's it do?

Cheers!

Rafael

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Server online, offline, what's this?
Posted by: kosonome (---.virtua.com.br)
Date: March 05, 2008 05:05AM

I'm using that program for short time, but I guess it's for you make a server to other people see your pages using your IP address, not only local.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2008 05:15AM

When in off-line mode, only you have access on computer that has wamp install while your sites can be accessed w/i LAN and worldwide when in on-line mode

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: JohnYD (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 05:34AM

It means what it implies, You can put your server software "online" or "offline". Your software is setup to be offline by default and displays locally on your computer, but you can actually put it "online" for anyone to access, unless your behind a firewall that is blocking it. If you are behind a firewall, it is usually pretty easy to open up a port for the software to run off your ip address. If your not sure what your doing though, I would not recommend changing anything.

Unless things have changed in the updated server (wampserver 2), if you place the server online, you are running a risk of someone gaining access to other portions of your computer mainly because the software does not have any security checks installed or something along those lines. I personally have not had that problem, but I only put it online if I need someone to take a look at what I am doing or to test something out for me.

Date: March 05, 2008 05:56AM

if you place the server online, you are running a risk of someone gaining access to other portions of your computer mainly because the software does not have any security checks installed or something along those lines.
Only have access to document root which is folder www in folder c:/wamp, not portion of computer as you thought, and if you already had index file in there, people can only see index file and nothing else ;-), of course except pro hackers :-(

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: RafaelLopez (---.paemt704.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br)
Date: March 05, 2008 06:17AM

Great. If I set online though, how am I supposed to know what address to access from worldwide? And within LAN?

Date: March 05, 2008 01:37PM

Your web/external ip, if you want more specific, check Setup Virtula Host and Setup LAN & Worldwide Access guides on my personal website

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.