Total Newbie - how to use Wamp with existing site
Posted by: Ha Tikvah (---.belf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 07:14PM

Hi, I operate 3 sites in total (2 with Joomla and 1 with CMSMS). Having had a total meltdown with a new installation of one of the Joomla sites, it panicked me about the viability of the other in case the same thing might happen, thus someone on their forum suggested I install WAMP so as to be able to test out mods and other things before applying them to the live site. Having installed the latest WAMP, and getting it functional I got totally lost as I couldn't figure out how to "run" a site through it - I could certainly create a new database, and got my Joomla installation to work in it, but couldn't provide a password for the site as the MySQL server part didn't seem to provide for that, or else does so in a different way to my server version.

Wondering if anyone would have the patience to walk me through the steps of getting a functional database (pref without hand coding in any shape or form as I've no knowledge of PHP), and then how to transfer my site database content into WAMP (presume I just import through myPHPAdmin??) ? Appreciate any input/help on this one as it sounds like it might be my backup/lifeline. TIA, Romayne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Total Newbie - how to use Wamp with existing site
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 07:16PM

when you go to http: / /localhost/phpmyadmin/ does it open?

Date: February 29, 2008 08:40PM

Hiya - yes, everything is working and functional ok (I think) - just my inability to figure out how and where to put data from my site. I know how to set up MySQL on my server but just couldn't figure it out in WAMP other than to provide a name for the database. And as I said, I was equally able to get a local copy of the Joomla installation to work, but when I had to put in a password for the site I was stuck as the WAMP SQL program didn't provide me anywhere to do that (or so it seemed). So that's really my first sticking point and then once I get that in and can complete the Joomla installation I'll next be trying to figure out how to dump the live site info into it smiling smiley.

Date: February 29, 2008 08:42PM

do u mean in ur scipt you have a username and password to connect to the database.

this in done in phpmyadmin

press privledges

add a new user to the list,

then when your script tries to connect it will be able to

Date: February 29, 2008 08:48PM

Hmm - not 100% sure if that's either what I do mean, or a solution to my problem, but will certainly try it out and see. Always tough when you're starting out with a new program and can't figure out the terminology to start with at times let alone anything else, but steep learning curves are becoming my thing these days and most take just a lot of messing around to crack sometimes, so more than happy to try this out. However, it will have to wait until Monday now as I'm about to head off for the weekend shortly and won't have enough time to really get at it. Appreciate your taking the time to respond tho and will update you next time around. Thanks. Romayne

Date: February 29, 2008 08:51PM

ok. wenever you get back just ask and ill try help you, maybe if you could explain better about the whole setup you have.

Date: February 29, 2008 08:56PM

Appreciate the offer - dangerous one - last guy who did this has ended up being my right hand man on CMSMS smiling smiley LOL

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 29, 2008 09:11PM

Actually, you need to move your site and Joomla from your host to your local wamp. In the mean time, check Setup Virtual Host and Setup Joomla guides on my personal websites to get the idea. My guides are step-by-step guides w/ illustrated pictures so they're very easy to follow ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.