Apache's www root directory
Posted by: veni (---.83-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: February 27, 2008 11:36PM

Hello folks,

I'm running version 1.61 of WAMP and I was wondering if it's possible to set 2 DIFFERENT Apache's www root directories in the httpd.conf files ?
If so how do I go about making the necessary changes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2008 11:37PM by veni.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Apache's www root directory
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2008 11:46PM

If you want to have more than 1 website/domain, you should setup Virtual Host, check the guide on my personal website

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: veni (---.83-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: February 28, 2008 12:11AM

yfastud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you want to have more than 1 website/domain,
> you should setup Virtual Host, check the guide on
> my personal website

But wait a second, aren't virtual hosts for allowing local and global access of your sites? I'm not trying to grant access to the site.

I currently have set in my httpd.conf=> DocumentRoot "Z:/www" which tells Apache where my DocuentRoot folder is. However, I want to add a second folder as a DocumentRoot let say at path D:/Wamp/www hence comes the question,how do I set 2 DIFFERENT Apache's www root directories in the httpd.conf files if at all possible ?

Date: February 28, 2008 01:04AM

But wait a second, aren't virtual hosts for allowing local and global access of your sites?
Nope, you can use it local only
Anyway, post your real purpose because it's a little confused why you need 2 document roots

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: allendover1 (---.25.134.98.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 28, 2008 06:29AM

I was thinking the same thing as well - I have about 7 sites to work on and need them all in my localhost set up. I use to use a full server package a few months back and had the conf file set up to allow me to just add to it each site and point it correctly and it worked great - I would have though the same of WAMP...

The Vitual hosting is very confusing to me - as I am trying to understand it but I also don't understand why it would need to be used.

I think what he is wanting - as am I - we want to have WAMP run more than just one site - with out major renaming of folders and such. Example... If we want to work on Site 1 then site 2 later - we should be able to go to ...

localhost.site1.com then later
localhost.site2.com

and they both work - with nothing else needed from us once it is set up.

I could really use this big time as well.

Any pointers please let me know.

Allen

Date: February 28, 2008 01:35PM

had the conf file set up to allow me to just add to it each site and point it correctly and it worked great - I would have though the same of WAMP...
To make it easy, convenient, and attarct more customers, your host wrote the script for users to use and I do have a simple script to do just that, but it's for older wamp version and I need to modify it to work w/ wamp 2 ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.