Email
Posted by: dzedward (---.dc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2008 05:07AM

What do I need to do to get php mail() function to work on my forum on this wamp installation?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 04:32PM by dzedward.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Email
Date: February 15, 2008 05:07PM

bump

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2008 05:08PM

Date: February 15, 2008 05:51PM

I realize that, but what is everyone else doing for email then? I've downloaded and installed "Free SMTP Server", but still, it doesn't work. I can see it in the active connections when I try and set up a test account on my forum, but I never receive the email. I've forwarded the ports and kept them unblocked on my firewall..

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2008 06:28PM

Be careful w/ mail server, even just for testing, because the second, not even minute, your mail server up, spammers' spybots can detect and use your mail server for their purposes and you, yes YOU, are the one who take all responsibilities for their actions, in worst case you might be sentenced in jail :-(

Every day, my mail server's black list is full of spammers' ip and even I keep updating w/ anti-spammers' sources, they keep changing their proxy ip's in order to attack people's mail servers, of course including mine :-(

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: February 15, 2008 06:57PM

So, what is the recommend way to send email, only for registration on a forum with wamp server?

Posted by: toivo (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 18, 2008 03:40PM

Hi,

You can configure the STMP settings of PHP to point to another server in your LAN which runs an SMTP server, or to the SMTP server of your ISP. The SMTP settings are documented at [php.net].

You can then use the mail() function of PHP, or classes like phpMailer from [sourceforge.net], to send messages.

Whichever function you use to send mail, make sure that if you accept user input as email addresses, your application code carefully validates the format of the email address your users enter and scrubs the input data from any SQL injection attempts and attempts to use your server as a relay server. It is important to do some research on these security topics before implementing a mail application open to the public.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Posted by: phpMagpie (---.114.58.144.plusnet.thn-ag3.dyn.plus.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 03:44PM

Hi all,

The top comment from 'webmaster at weethet dot nl' at the following link explains how to get wamp sending test emails:
[php.net]

It uses [glob.com.au] and worked first time for me using a smtp account which requires authentication.

Please note: I am only using this to development scripts locally before they have been uploaded.

HTH, phpMagpie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.