Static ip causing problems?
Posted by: Lakeside (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 06:35PM

Hi agian. I did have an ftp server set up to work with my WAMP and Joomla CMS I could connect to it but uninstalled it and went with WS_FTP, as it seemed to have the feature I need- which is to be able to change file permissions (right click on folder>properties>unclick 'read only') At some point tho (not sure why smiling smiley) I decided to obtain a static ip address, 'SassWebs.hopto.org' and the ip numbers, and I don't seem to be able to 'connect to the server' (I assume they mean wamp) with it. Even when I am ('you are connected to localhost) by using 'localhost' in the address bar, I cannot move any files ('unimplemented feature' error message)
Just wondering: maybe you're not meant to actually upload files when it is just a local server, cause it's not acutally 'out there', and also wonderering: should I get rid of the static IP, is it confusing things? Thanks again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Static ip causing problems?
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2008 04:59PM

Not sure why you bother w/ cmod since you run ftp server on windows and you don't really need it

Since Joomla already reside on your computer, you don't need to use ftp but just simple move files b/w folders; ftp use for users to remote access files

Static ip is good, but you can use some free ip updater soft to cover it instead paying extra for static ip

I've been using ftp server for yrs and never have any problem; btw, don't ask me which ftp server I'm using since I change it from time to time, just to test them out; for example, Cerberus and xlight have remote access, freeFTPd supports ssl, so on. WS_FTP has ssl support too but not sure where you got it since it's not free. Personally, I just don't like Filezilla because it's missing too many features

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: Lakeside (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 06:40PM

Hi yfastudsmiling smiley Obviously I'm still a little confused about some things. So, Joomla is in my computer, so I do not have to 'connect' ftp to anything, just deal with the files in the local directory. As for chmodding,, I was having so much trouble trying to install extensions into Joomla's backend- was being told that the directories weren't 'writeeable' and I'd have to change their permissions (component, mmodule folder directories example). That's why I wanted WS_ftp in the first place, as I can right click on a directory, a;nd unclick 'read only' in it's properties. Since then, I have been able to install a few extensions, JoomllaXplorer for one. With JoomlaXplorer, it allows you to 'connect to the ftp server', but when I try, I am told that the ftp server is not running on my server. Maybe that is because it is a local setup, and I'm not meant to connect? I used to have remote hosting, and had no trouble connecting with ftp, uploading files to the site, and changing permisisions in JoomlaXplorer, which, even though I have a 'windows' computer, I seemed to have to do. WS_ftp: I am using a free trial version. The static IP is free also (NoIp), but not sure what I do with it, if I use it in my address for connectiog to ftp, or put it in my router somewhere...

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2008 08:04PM

I don't use noIP, so no ideas what you can do w/ it. For WS_ftp, when I was in university, I used its ftp client which is completely free at that time, and after they change owners and policies, I've never used them again, so I have no idea the specific steps to setup it to work w/ joomla. Basically, depends on how you setup in joomla, it will look for something similar to this

ftp.jlbn.net

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.