ISP Blocking Port 80, changing working port on Apache
Posted by: accordv6 (---.67-80-70.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: January 22, 2008 12:41AM

Hi I have read a lot the last days about how making this work and I have read, learned and tried different things but nothing seems to solve.

I installed the last version of WAMP, configured my router and all firewalls I had. I made it work with port 80, however my ISP ( Videotron Canada) blocks port 80, users of videotron ( Clients of this ISP) were able to see mywebsite which I registered the dns at dynamic dns website.

My next step was to change the port to 8080 or 8008, so I went into the config of apache (httpd.conf) and I changed the default listen ( 80) to 8080 for example. Restarted all my services and the icon on the taskbar is all white and online. I am also able to view my local host by specifying :8080 at the end (http://localhost:8080) and I can see the WAMP 5 homepage and I can also see [localhost] and [localhost] so according to me everything is fine so far. Then comes the final step which is trying my DNS for example xxxx.dnsalias.com:8080 but it doesn't load the WAMP5 homepage as expected. Like I mentioned before, it did work before in port 80 but only for users of my ISP. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Help would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ISP Blocking Port 80, changing working port on Apache
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2008 02:59AM

Date: January 22, 2008 03:46AM

Thank you for the quick response, but if I don't specify the port it still doesn't load the wamp5 homepage it's supposed to load. For instance, if I change everything to port 80 then I just type the dns xxxxxxx.dnslias.com and it does load the wamp5 homepage. Any idea what is missing here? Thank you for the help.

Date: January 22, 2008 05:34AM

Since your isp block port 80, you do need to change port in config files, but not in dns, then in browser use your_domain:port

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: wardfan (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 22, 2008 07:09AM

You could set up a free account at no-ip.com they have free port 80 redirect, that way your website can forward to them which in tern forwards to your new port on your server, this keeps from having to type in the port every time someone wants to access your site.

Date: January 22, 2008 03:04PM

If I'm not wrong, using mod_rewrite to setup your websites, it still go to your sites w/o port in url

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2008 03:15PM by yfastud.

Date: January 23, 2008 07:18PM

Thank you wardfan it worked! thank to you also yfastud for your help.

Posted by: Poldle (---.cae.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 29, 2008 12:19AM

I GOTTA QUESTION WOULD THIS WORK FOR A GAMESERVER TOO OR WOULD LIKE HAVE TO PUT :8080 BESIDE THE WEBSITE IN MY CONFIGS AND THE REALMLIST?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.