Cant access my wamp server outside my network
Posted by: Unalee123 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2007 08:05PM

I've been trying for days with no luck in getting others to see my server. I followed some wonderful instructions found at [www.jlbn.net] example 12 Setup Virtual Host for local network. I have WAMP working perfectly hosting virtual host on my local machine but I'm the only one that can access it. I have a Linksys router and have enabled port forwarding on the router. Have also adjusted the host file to listen to specific ports (9820 and 9825). I used the open port check tool to make sure that my isp (optimum/cablevision) was not blocking the ports and the check was successful...the ports are not blocked. In addition to adding the ports to the router, I also added them to Windows Firewall and Norton. Modified my httpd-vhost.conf file. Tried granting access based on my friend specific ip address as well as Allow from All. They can't see my server. I have also tried getting to my server from another pc in my house (not on same network) with no luck.

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong and how I can get around this problem. Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cant access my wamp server outside my network
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2007 08:18PM

Did you put your server in online mode through wamp tray icon yet? If yes, post examples of vh and router's port setup here

BTW, to access from outside LAN, you can't use LAN ip, but must use web ip which can be checked w/ this site

[whereismyip.com]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2007 08:31PM by yfastud.

Date: December 17, 2007 09:26PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I did put the server in online mode. The ip in my vhost is from whatismyip.com, the ip on the router is from ipconfig. My linksys port range forward is setup as follows:

Application Start End Protocol IP Address Enable

SERVER0 80 80 Both 192.168.0.xxx checked
SERVER1 9820 9820 Both 192.168.0.xxx checked
SERVER2 9825 9825 Both 192.168.0.xxx checked

The ip address on the router was obtained by issuing command prompt ipconfig /all. The xxx in the above example contain the actual numbers.

http file setup
Listen 80
Listen 9820
Listen 9825

My vhost setup (conf\extra) setup is as follows:

NameVirtualHost numbers from whatismyip.com:80
NameVirtualHost numbers from whatismyip.com:9822
NameVirtualHost numbers from whatismyip.com:9825

<VirtualHost numbers from whatismyip.com:80>
ServerName localhost
DocumentRoot c:\wamp\www\users\website0\public_html
ErrorLog c:\wamp\www\users\website0\logs\error.log
CustomLog c:\wamp\www\users\website0\logs\access.log common
<Directory c:\wamp\www\users\website0\public_html>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1
Allow from (my friend ip address)
Allow from (my laptop ip address)
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

The setup for port 9822 and 9825 is the same as above. The only difference is the port number 9822 instead of 80,etc.

The virtualhost ip was obtained from www.whatismyip.com

My isp blocks port 80. I've tried with and without using port 80 with no success. I've also setup a DNS at DynDNS.com and I can ping that with no problem. I can also access my server locally using my dns as well as localhost.

Thanks for your help

P.S. I'm new to this forum so I'm not quite sure how to reply...Hope I'm not double posting (using post message)

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2007 10:30PM

For example, your web ip is 123.234.345.567 and using port 9822, then access as follows:

[123.234.345.567]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: December 17, 2007 11:17PM

What you suggested my web ip and port number is what I have been using to have my friends test from the outside with the server online but no success. I have also tested in this manner from my laptop which is running off another server and it still does not work. I know I can't test on the server with my ip because it will not work.

Is it possible that I have overlooked something? Again, everything works flawlessly locally but I can't share with anyone else.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.