community website; security; local server; config.inc.php;
Posted by: gegala (---.dsl.eulstx.swbell.net)
Date: December 13, 2007 12:04AM

Guys,

Hello All. I have several questions:

1) Where is the "config.inc.php" file located? Believe me I searched my wamp\www directory in vain. You see, I was trying to set my password for the first time in WAMP5.

2) I am trying to build a community type website where people can upload photos and write emails to each other within the site (members-only kind of thing). I need a lot of good scripts to do this well-image upload scripts, chat scripts, forum scripts, email-scripts. Also, I am not sure how to set up databases specific to these kind of scripts. I have done some database setting before but not at applications level. Lots of data involved and lots of security issues to be preempted.

3) I would like to run a server from my home. I am specifically attracted to using the Apache, PHP5, MySQL combo. a) can I use regular pc for a server or do I need a special machine or machines to handle this? I have already installed Apache, MySQL and PHP5 on one both my pcs, one a linux machine and another a windows xp pc. b) regarding email and picture databases, should these be stored on separate machines or just different databases within the same machine?

4) Has anyone out there used Joomla to build a live website from beginning to end and for commercial purposes? Please let me know your experiences.

I am sorry to be so long winded but I have spent the sleepless months looking for this information. I would appreciate if you could use plain language and clear pointers and not assume a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Gegala.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: community website; security; local server; config.inc.php;
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: December 14, 2007 01:17AM

For question 1, Check my websites for proper password setup, remember location for wamp2 is different, so config.inc.php is in c:/wamp/apps/phpmyadmin2.10.1

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2007 01:19AM by yfastud.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: December 14, 2007 01:24AM

For question 3, depends on what you really use for your question 2 will determine the machine. If just a forums w/ not too many people, even my old machine P3 that I picked up from garbage is good more than enough to handle that, but if you talk about thousands people access per second, you need a real server to handle that

For question 4, try it yourself, since different people have different ideas about it

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: toivo (203.19.130.---)
Date: December 16, 2007 12:47PM

Hi,

Regarding question 4, I manage a commercial site running Joomla. It is robust and well documented. Joomla has hundreds of extensions, both free and payable, if you need more functionality than just the base system.

If you want to change the layouts, you can find free templates or buy commercial ones. Remember to check comments from the extension download site, study the documentation - sometimes there isn't anything other than the source code - and try the functions in your test environment first.

You can integrate Joomla with forum software, Fireboard is the native Joomla forum, but other forum applications like vBulletin can work with Joomla using non-GPL bridging software.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.