wampserver2 still says wamp5 in various places - confusing
Posted by: tophe (---.115-67-202.dart.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 06, 2007 01:57AM

Hello,
I am new to this forum so, firstly THANKYOU, Romain (et. al.) for this huge effort.
... and greetings from Australia - yippeee! we have a new government!

I had wamp5 running fine for some months (after earlier battles swith XAMPP and IIS), but yearned for multiple apache/mysql/php version switches so as to match live servers...
So, I backed up and installed WampServer2 with great enthusiasm.... Still a work in progress.

I am now able to see /localhost of Wamp but the screen looks just the same as the old wamp5 - complete with the wamp5 logo ! I do not yet know why that is not as depicted on these wampserver.com pages.

When I get WampServer2 up and running as it should, I will be donating some token $$ of gratitude.

BTW, I run my VirtualServer sites (15) out of an alternative Drv D: location (for me, easier for backup purposes.
Thats, OK, I simply edit the configs etc... But, IMO, it would be useful if nominating a location were a part of the installation process.

Anyway, I still do not have webserver2 running as it should and as I try to figure out what is going on, I notice the "WAMP5" instance still appearing all over the place in the System Tray etc. (e.g "WAMP5 - Server Offline"winking smiley and in other config files etc.
*** That is really quite confusing when one still the old wamp5 stuff about the place - albeit fully UN-installed and in a c:\wamp5_bak directory).

Also - I am trying to be constructive here LOL smiling smiley - , could I suggest that, it would probably be useful for folks new to the game, if a liitle more documentation for migration from wamp5 to webserver2 was available.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pass those thoughts on.
I will persist with my upgrade now and hope I do not have to go back to wamp5.

Thanks again,
Chris(topher)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wampserver2 still says wamp5 in various places - confusing
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2007 01:28PM

Wamp2 is NOT upgradable from previous wamp, so after uninstall old wamp, you have to delete/rename old wamp folder, clear old wamp registries (wampapache and wampmysql), restart computer, then reinstall wamp

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: roms (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2007 02:40PM

Hi, thanks for the info. I know I left a few WAMP5 references in WampServer 2...my mistake. It will be corrected in next release.
Nayway, if you did a clean uninstall of WAMP5 and deleted the wamp directory before intalling WampServer 2, everything should work ok for you.

Romain

Posted by: tophe (---.122-67-202.dart.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 06, 2007 09:34PM

Thanks for getting back guys,

Nayway, if you did a clean uninstall of WAMP5 and deleted the wamp directory before intalling WampServer 2, everything should work ok for you.

Yes, everyting working now... I simply placed my old C:\Copy_wamp5\mysql\data back into the new C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.0.45\data

Thanks Romain, on the wamp5 references - at least I know it was not me!!

Yfastud,

clear old wamp registries (wampapache and wampmysql)
... I was prepared to go there, but the uninstall seems to have fixed that OK.

However, I was still seeing the old wamp5 layout at
http://localhost
Well, Duh! I have DocumentRoot = "D:/WAMP_home/"

So, I copied the new /www/index.php to my Document Root
Edited the first couple of rows to point back to WAMP thus:
//chemin jusqu'au fichier de conf de WampServer
$wampConfFile = 'c:/wamp/wampmanager.conf';

//chemin jusqu'aux fichiers alias
$aliasDir = 'c:/wamp/alias/';

Voila!

Cheers,
Chris(topher)

PS. I have just now dropped in a small token of appreciation to PayPal

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2007 09:57PM by tophe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.