Connection Timeouts from local network
Posted by: reptileking234 (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 04, 2007 09:05PM

Hey everyone,

This is my first time using wamp, and I must say, it's an awesome creation.

Despite that, I'm still able to screw something up :p So here's my situation:

I had an old server that needed to be replaced. It hosted a couple of small sites and a couple of small game servers - nothing big.

I've put a newer computer where the older one was and transfered all of the files and such. All of the websites can be pulled up just fine by myself and people out on the internet.

For the game servers and other things besides the standard services ( http and ftp ) I am only able to connect via the local address of the new server.

This is not just the game servers, but things like VNC as well. To connect via VNC I have to type in the local address, because www.mydomain.com will time out.

Any insight into how I can fix this would be appreciated smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Connection Timeouts from local network
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2007 02:38AM

wamp was designed and developed to be for local testing and development only. it has no security in place at all. this means any 10 year old with an internet connection can hack your server easily.

if you insist on running your own server, then do not put any personal or private data on the server, such as customers names, address, passwords, cc numbers, ss numbers, etc.

and dont think because you dont have a big site you wont get hacked. So far this month, one of my sites, webdevnewbie.com (a blog for web development newbies) which only gets about 50 uniques a day has had 55 total hack attempts from 15 different hackers this month.

to fix your domain name issue read the virtual host section of my wamp manual, link to manual is in my sig.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

I have WAMP5 working with (for development use only):
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (64 bit)
Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 7.0.x
Spyware Terminater 2.x
CounterSpy 2.5.x

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.