PHPMyAdmin Freezing
Posted by: arlen (---.172.16.98.ip.alltel.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 02:43PM

Hey All ...

I'm using WAMP 5 1.6.4 and am having problems accessing my db's via PPHMyAdmin. On very small db's (fresh installs of WordPress) it has no problem, but on my primary db for the store I'm developing, it just hangs on loading the db, never completely opens.

- any ideas why this may be happening?

- as a alternative to a lot of troubleshooting, I'd definately consider upgrading to the current version. But I haven't done before and can't afford to loose my db's. What do I have to do to ensure my data is safe?

FYI, this is installed on an XP Media Center PC

Thanks in advance.

Post Edited (11-02-07 14:46)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PHPMyAdmin Freezing
Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 07:45PM

as a alternative to a lot of troubleshooting, I'd definately consider upgrading to the current version. But I haven't done before and can't afford to loose my db's. What do I have to do to ensure my data is safe?
You can use phpmyadmin to export/import db; however, you DEFINITELY need to try it out on a different desktop/laptop before you actually upgrade since the version 1.7.0 and later are not friendly upgradeable which means that you have to completely uninstall and remove older version in both windows and registry before install new version.

Have fun,

[test.jlbn.net] (Sample Testing Codes for PHP, MySQL, ASP.net, SQL, JSP)
[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP & Add-ons)

Post Edited (11-02-07 19:45)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: arlen (---.172.16.98.ip.alltel.net)
Date: November 03, 2007 01:02AM

Thanks yfastud, appreciate the words of caution

Unfortunately I can't export from PHPMyAdmin unless I can open the db up, and I don't get that far with the one important db. I can export from my cart software however, and will have to see how complete that is ... it may only be product data which will only get me part way there. I've tried to access it from another PC, the one I actually use for development, but haven't had any luck.

Instead of an upgrade, I have the option of reinstalling the existing version of WAMP5 1.6.4 ... any words of warning there?

I'll try to export from my cart, set up a new db & import, then see if I can edit it from PHPMyAdmin. If not, is a reinstall of 1.6.4 a reasonable option, or would I just be wasting my time?

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2007 02:06AM

Here are some phpmyadmin tutorials form my site Web Development for Newbies Blog.

[www.webdevnewbie.com]

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

I have WAMP5 working with (for development use only):
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (64 bit)
Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 7.0.x
Spyware Terminater 2.x
CounterSpy 2.5.x

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 03, 2007 05:44AM

I'll try to export from my cart, set up a new db & import, then see if I can edit it from PHPMyAdmin
If your cart is a complete scripts, it should has an option to backup/restore db; if not, you should install that script before restoring db.

If not, is a reinstall of 1.6.4 a reasonable option, or would I just be wasting my time?
Version 1.6.x only works w/ xp but not w/ vista, so don't waste your time if trying to install it on vista; however, I have no problem to restore my db's from my previous 1.6.5 on xp to 1.7.3 on vista recently; the only thing is I did it my own way, he he... ;-) Anyway, I think it should work when trying w/ phpmyadmin, just make sure to test it first before actually do it for real

Have fun,

[test.jlbn.net] (Sample Testing Codes for PHP, MySQL, ASP.net, SQL, JSP)
[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP & Add-ons)

Posted by: arlen (---.171.16.98.ip.alltel.net)
Date: November 06, 2007 06:15PM

Thanks for all the help guys ... but the saga continues. I've burnt days trying to get everything running properly and am frustrated to no end. This is a condensed version literally a couple dozen hours of installing, reinstalling, grrrr ... but I think I have determined what needs to be done, with one new hitch.

I think the initial problem w/ phpmyadmin was at least largely a firewall problem. I didn't determine this until after several installs, giving up and trying XAMPP (which was a reluctant decision, as I don't like it nearly as much as WAMP ... tried it before). Anyway, the XAMPP install completely screwed up my firewall settings ... probably my fault as I forgot to turn the firewall off when I installed. Phpmyadmin still had similar problems in XAMPP which were immediately cured by turning the firewall off.

SO ... I uninstalled XAMPP, cleaned my registry, and reinstalled WAMP. Unfortunately, I had new problems w/ phpmyadmin, and decided to install the current version which seems to have fixed things. I think I realize now how I could have fixed the new problems, but since the current version seems to work fine, I'm not going to mess with it.

BUT ... now I'm having permissions problems w/ XP ... I'll post details about that in a new thread so it's more easily searchable.

Appreciate your help, hope you'll take a peek at my new thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.