Making Wamp Going Live onto The Internet
Posted by: ta5na (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 10:36PM

Hello,

How would i make my WAMP Server go online live to the internet? Please Help.

Thanks,
Mitesh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making Wamp Going Live onto The Internet
Posted by: toivo (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 27, 2007 02:39AM

Hi,

Could you please describe your network configuration. Is your server in a Local Area Network (LAN) or is it connected directly through an ADSL/DSL modem/router to an Internet Service Provider (ISP)? Does your connection have a fixed IP address or a dynamic IP address? Do you own a particular domain name?

In principle, inside your network your router/firewall needs to forward packets addressed to TCP port 80 to your WAMP server using its internal IP address. How do these packets or HTTP requests know how to find your internet router? The Domain Name System (DNS) must know your domain name and resolve it into the IP address provided to you by your ISP.

The rest is configuration of the Apache server in WAMP, and the default configuration should give you an example, and this forum has more than one guide how to set up the server.

Good luck & regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Date: October 27, 2007 02:28PM

Hello,

Yes its an ADSL connection, connected to an router, i would suppose its an static ip address, as we are connected at all times. If its not then how would i do keep track of the IP address. I do not have an domain name at the moment.

Have you got the quick set-up guide for configuring the Apache server in WAMP and for setting the router up. I need this all to be working asap.

Thanks for you help, Very appreciated.
Mitesh.

Posted by: toivo (203.19.130.---)
Date: October 27, 2007 02:59PM

Hi,

Being connected at all times is no guarantee that you have a static IP address. You may be able to keep the same dynamic address for quite some time, depending on the length of the lease, but eventually it will change.

If your IP address is dynamic, you need a piece of software to monitor the IP address so that every time the IP address changes, it updates the DNS record with the service provider hosting your DNS records. Have a look at solutions by companies like no-ip.com or dyndns.com. Many routers have a built-in dynamic DNS client which can support one or more Dynamic DNS service providers.

This site and the forum has several configuration guides for WAMP, from what I have seen in the posts. For your router you should do a search by starting from the manufacturer's support forum.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Date: October 27, 2007 04:07PM

Hello,

I have tested that my mates pc on the network can access the wamp page, but from external (outside the network) can't be accessed.

I have the router Netgear SUPER-G™ WIRELESS MODEM ROUTER DG834GT.

[www.netgear.com]

Please help, i can't get it to work.

Thanks,
Mitesh

Posted by: toivo (203.19.130.---)
Date: October 27, 2007 04:27PM

Hi,

Usually routers have a page which displays the connection status and the current external IP address. If you use that external i.e. public IP address from outside the LAN in a HTTP request, you should be able to connect to your server.

Configure the router to respond to pings and ping your IP address from outside to see if you get a response. Then configure the router to log the IP traffic and see where those HTTP requests go, or if they are somehow filtered.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Date: October 27, 2007 04:55PM

Hello mate,

I have found my netgear router ip address, which is ----> 90.202.xxx.x <----- i typed that into http browser from an external pc and it wouldn't detect anything :-S. I'm so confused please help. Of course my internal ip address is different would i have to tell the router to detect my computer or something.

Thanks

Posted by: toivo (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 27, 2007 05:29PM

Hi,

Yes, you have to give the router precise instructions what to do and therefore you need to find the configuration page for port forwarding from the user interface provided by the router.

Sometimes the manuals that come with network routers do not tell you everything or they are a couple of releases behind the actual firmware running in the router. It is worth checking the version of the firmware from the configuration utility and then seeing from the manufacturers support pages on the net if it is the latest version.

Port forwarding means that the packets coming from the public internet have a destination port associated with them, and a HTTP request generates a packet where the destination port is set to TCP port 80. In the actual port forwarding page you tell the router to forward all incoming packets (packets coming from the public internet) which have their destination port set to 80 to the internal IP address of your WAMP server on the LAN.

Sometimes the routers describe the packet types in a more user friendly way and instead of port 80 they have the option to set forwarding for www or HTTP.

Because you do not have a domain name, the WAMP server would not be able to serve the HTTP request which has an IP address (and not a domain following []) from a name-based virtual host but would have to process it in the default host.

If your WAMP server can be accessed from inside the LAN, it is likely that the default gateway in its TCP/IP properties has already been set to the internal i.e. private IP address of the router. This is important because otherwise the WAMP server would not know where to send the responses. On the other hand, if you can browse the internet from the WAMP server, the default gateway has already been set correctly.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 27, 2007 05:40PM

Through wamp tray icon, put your server in online mode, also make sure to enable port 80 in all routers and firewalls; then access your site(s) from outside using your web ip, not your local ip, which you can find out w/ this link:

[whereismyip.com]

To enable port in router, check my old post here:
[forum.wampserver.com]
[forum.wampserver.com]

Also, it seems you're new to this wamp, so check my websites for other setups

Have fun,

[test.jlbn.net] (Sample Testing Codes for PHP, MySQL, ASP.net, SQL, JSP)
[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP & Add-ons)

Post Edited (10-27-07 18:10)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: October 27, 2007 06:42PM

Hey guys,

I have resolved the issue and it works now, although how would i setup an domain name for it.

I have never ever done this, i appreciate for all the help.

Thanks,
Mitesh

Date: October 27, 2007 07:39PM

Hello,

I have it to work for another computer, but it leads to the wamp homepage (localhost) page. How can i change the configurations to set it to the php website.

Thanks,
Mitesh

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2007 10:24PM

you are a newbie, you should read my manual. link to manual is in my sig.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

I have WAMP5 working with (for development use only):
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (64 bit)
Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 7.0.x
Spyware Terminater 2.x
CounterSpy 2.5.x

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Date: October 27, 2007 11:24PM

Hello,

Sorry but the WAMP manual doesn't tell me how to change the main localhost page to my php cosen project.

Please help,

Thanks,
Mitesh

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.