How to install smtp in wamp
Posted by: Chaitanya (---.160.207.20.ill-bgl.static.vsnl.net.in)
Date: September 10, 2007 11:23AM

Sir,

I am presently working on a website development project in my company.

I have seen the earlier posts. One of the post says that wamp server does not come with smtp server.

My project needs smtp server to be installed, so can u tell me how can i install smtp server in the wamp server. If it is not possible, tell me other source where i can find the software and install in my system. Also kindly tell me the steps to install it.

Also if possible tell me if there is any possibility to send mails without smtp server.

I appreciate your immediate response.

Thank you

chaitanya

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to install smtp in wamp
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2007 12:17PM

using an unprotected smtp server on your personal computer is way to dangerous. wamp is for local testing and development. it has no security in place and should not be used as a production server, especially on your home computer. if you need an smtp server, pay for hosting from a site like yahoo.com, 1and1.com or godaddy.com

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

I have WAMP5 working with (for development use only):
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (64 bit)
Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 7.0.x
Spyware Terminater 2.x
CounterSpy 2.5.x

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Posted by: Chaitanya (---.160.207.20.ill-bgl.static.vsnl.net.in)
Date: September 10, 2007 12:37PM

Thanks CyberSpatium for the promt reply ,

Let me share few more details .

This project needs to be demoed before my company puts any money in this project.

In this project When ever a user adds a file , the Admins must get a mail for the acceptance or rejection of the file .Now I am able to upload files however I am not able to send mail to Admin .

Just for a testing purposes can i download any Open Source Email Server Once I am able to show the functionality to my manager we can use your approach .

Regards,
Chaitanya

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2007 07:38PM

if you are programming a script you can use email using a opensource php class called phpmailer. just installing this class will not enable sending email. you will need program your php script to use this class to send email. I used the class to handle the contact form on my site clarifyloans.com and it made handling email much easier. just make sure you write secure code so that mail class cannot be exploited by spammers to send their spam with your insecure php coded script.

i have some tutorials on one of my other sites WebDev for Newbies Blog:

A (Safe) Contact Form using Xajax and PHPmailer
Try this tutorial to create web form to send e-mails to ONE e-mail address without having problems with spambots. The e-mail is send with SMTP and the form is processed with Xajax.

Basic PHP Security
Basic PHP script security covers issues like prevention of SQL injections, XSS and CSRF attacks, variable tampering, etc

Stop PHP nobody Spammers
PHP and Apache has a history of not being able to track which users are sending out mail through the PHP mail function from the nobody user causing leaks in formmail scripts and malicious users to spam from your server without you knowing who or where.

PHP5 - All Purpose Form Pre-Validation

The following script is a single interface for pre-validating any HTML form. It lets you validate your form data the way you want, while handling the rudimentary tasks itself.

PHP Security by Example
Nice flash presentation that will provide you with a good foundation on how to make your PHP apps more secure. This is the best tutorial I have found so far covering the difficult taks of understanding, implementing and securing your php code.

PHP Password Security Using Salts
Learn to make unique-per-user salts to create un-bruteforceable passwords. This method will prevent brute forcing from online md5 databases and rainbow tables. A salt is a bunch of extra bits, or a key that is added to a text BEFORE it is encrypted, making brute forcing ridiculously complicated. Say we were to add “2254hah8f932h9h3fdksahfi32ukr342” to the users password during sign up, THEN encrypt/hash it and put it into the database.

Writing Regular Expression with PHP
Regular Expression is a kind of language and if you have learned its symbols and understood their meaning, you would find it as the most useful tool in hand to solve many complex problems related to text searches. This article shows lights on RegEx concept and use of RegEx with PHP.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

I have WAMP5 working with (for development use only):
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (64 bit)
Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 7.0.x
Spyware Terminater 2.x
CounterSpy 2.5.x

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.