phpMyAdmin fails to start
Posted by: BillH (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: September 07, 2007 01:27PM

I have recently installed wamp and it worked perfectly for a few days, then suddenly for no apparent reason when I was trying to open phpMyAdmin my browser (Firefox) gave me the message it gives out when it doesn't recognise a filetype and asks what to do with it. It says:

"You have chosen to open [then a couple of blank lines - NB *no* filename given]
which is a : application/x-httpd-php
What should Firefox do with this file?"

Then it gives the options to 'Open with' and a Browse button to search for an application, and a 'Save to disk' option.

Everything else *seems* to work fine. The wamp log files don't report anything unusual. Stopping and starting the services make no difference, and neither does re-installing wamp.

Hope someone can help me with this problem. Could it be a Firefox problem? I'm using V2.0.0.6. Also Windows XP Home SP2.

Post Edited (09-07-07 13:27)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: phpMyAdmin fails to start
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2007 03:23AM

make sure you access phpmyadmin:
[localhost]

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

I have WAMP5 working with (for development use only):
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (64 bit)
Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 7.0.x
Spyware Terminater 2.x
CounterSpy 2.5.x

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Date: September 09, 2007 12:45PM

Thanks for taking the time to look at this, but I did try that. It started off working, then this symptom appeared after a few days, whether called up directly or through the wamp menu.

However, it looks like it's a Firefox problem.

I downloaded and installed the latest version of wamp (1.7.3) and configured it to use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox and phpMyAdmin works just fine there. Still fails under Firefox.

The only change to my FF installation after I installed wamp the first time and it worked was that an addon called NoScript updated itself. I disabled it and phmMyAdmin still failed. So it's not that.

At least I have a working version, but I'd prefer to use FF. Wrong place I know, but if anyone has any clues about how to resolve this I'd be grateful to hear about them. I'm loth to report a bug in FF (if indeed that is what it is) as I'm not really technical enough to explain what's going on.

Posted by: Trippin (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 10, 2007 05:25AM

Here is what I suggest. Open My Computer and browse to the firefox directory. Mine is C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox yours could be a little bit different. Anyways right click on the main directory folder (ie goto program files and right click "Mozilla Firefox"winking smiley and copy it. Now paste it somewhere (i choose desktop).
Uninstall firefox.
Delete that directory inside program files (make sure you still have the copy on your desktop!
Now go and download and re-install firefox. and test out the webpage (phpmyadmin)
If its working then something (ie one of your add-ons) is messing up firefox. If now you can just paste all your old firefox files (from your desktop) back into Program Files and you can go back to the way everything was.

Date: September 10, 2007 09:13PM

Thanks, good plan. Why didn't I think of that? However, it might be easier just to disable all the addons & retry phpmyadmin. If it works, then re-enable each addon one by one till it fails. Or disable them one by one till it works. There are only half a dozen or so. That should nail it down.

My current installation of wamp is set to use Internet Explorer. That's done at install time as everyone knows. Is there an easy way of changing the preferred browser to Firefox without having to re-install wamp?

Date: September 10, 2007 09:16PM

Ha, your way is definitely easier and will lead you to the problematic add-on. But then again something else could be wrong and you'd have to use my way anyway.

Hope it all works out for you! (and i dont know how to change the default browser)

Date: September 12, 2007 03:52PM

Well I tried my Plan A but phpmyadmin still failed with all the addons disabled. I tried Trippin's method and re-installed a fresh copy of Firefox. Still failed with exactly the same error.

I'm stumped now. I suppose all the other FF users out there are using this quite happily. Why is it always me?

Date: September 12, 2007 04:15PM

Now that i think about it there may be some registry setting that is prohibiting you from opening the page correctly. Do any other .php files open normally? try making a page.php (you can name it anything you want) and inside put

<?php
echo "Hello World";
?>

and see if that works. If you get a blank page with just the text Hello World then firefox is opening php files correctly. Other than that I can't think of anything else.

Date: September 13, 2007 12:13PM

Yup that works, and other straight php files too.

This is now way off topic, so I think we should just leave it there unless anyone has a lightbulb moment to share. Thanks for your suggestions.

It is working under Internet Explorer, so I'm not completely stuck.

Posted by: magnet (83.229.64.---)
Date: September 15, 2007 02:31PM

i'm using IE and i cannot lunch phpmyadmin pls who can help me i

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.