WAMP Slow on Vista?
Posted by: firefusion (---.dsl.zen.co.uk)
Date: August 10, 2007 09:25AM

I have a brand new Acer laptop, Intel core2duo 1.66Ghz and 2GB RAM. I've tried both WAMP and XAMPP but on both of them pages take a few seconds before they start loading. It's as if something is holiding them back before allowing them to execute. Even requests to pages with just plain HTML take a while to load. So it's something to do with Apache.

Any ideas?

Post Edited (08-10-07 09:28)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP Slow on Vista?
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 09:44AM

you need to completely uninstall xampp before you install wamp. uninstall xampp, delete the entire folder that xampp used (if i remember correctly it is c:\ApacheFriends). restart pc, install wamp.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Posted by: firefusion (---.brhm.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: August 12, 2007 10:13AM

Hasn't fixed it. I'm afraid. Looks like others are reporting the same thing with XAMPP. Seems to be a handful of Vista installs where something is slowing down Apache

Date: August 12, 2007 12:02PM

are you getting any kind of error messages? what do that last 10 lines of your apache error log say?

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Posted by: firefusion (---.freedom2surf.net)
Date: August 12, 2007 12:08PM

I'm not seeing any errors. The last 10 lines are as follows..

[Sun Aug 12 09:30:37 2007] [notice] Child 2092: All worker threads have exited.
[Sun Aug 12 09:30:37 2007] [notice] Child 2092: Child process is exiting
[Sun Aug 12 09:30:37 2007] [notice] Parent: Child process exited successfully.
[Sun Aug 12 11:04:30 2007] [notice] Apache/2.2.4 (Win32) PHP/5.2.3 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Sun Aug 12 11:04:30 2007] [notice] Server built: Jan 9 2007 23:17:20
[Sun Aug 12 11:04:30 2007] [notice] Parent: Created child process 4432
[Sun Aug 12 11:04:31 2007] [notice] Child 4432: Child process is running
[Sun Aug 12 11:04:31 2007] [notice] Child 4432: Acquired the start mutex.
[Sun Aug 12 11:04:31 2007] [notice] Child 4432: Starting 250 worker threads.
[Sun Aug 12 11:04:31 2007] [notice] Child 4432: Starting thread to listen on port 80.

Date: August 12, 2007 10:43PM

are you using localhost (http://localhost for example) to access your website, your IP address (http://123.12.12.123) for example),. or are you using a domain name (http://somedomain.com for example)?

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory

Date: August 12, 2007 10:54PM

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 02:44AM

Weird!!!

I've already installed wamp on more than 10 vista machines including basic, premium, business and ultimate, but never see that problem, so I wonder which antivirus+firewall you're using, and also other applications besides win, antivirus+firewall, and wamp

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP)

Date: August 13, 2007 10:44AM

I know it's weird, I installed it on my friends Vista Machine and it worked great.. I'm running ZoneAlarm and Avast. I tried shutting them down and still get the same response. Some people with XAMPP report the same thing.

[www.apachefriends.org]

[www.apachefriends.org]

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: August 13, 2007 01:49PM

He he... he he... ;-)

ZA and Avast?!?!?!

Personally, I've never used either, so I'm not sure the proper setup for either; however, you can temporary uninstall both to check if wamp works; then, reinstall both back 1 by 1. Make sure to check wamp after each install back to find out which 1 is the cause. Remember, temporary disable either or both might not help.

Have fun,

Date: August 14, 2007 11:24AM

I use zone alarm,webroot spysweeper, and windows firewall and they work fine with wamp on win xp.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory

Date: August 15, 2007 02:18PM

Well it was Zone Alarm. I uninstalled it and now it's working at supper fast speeds. It was the latest version of ZA btw.

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 12:58AM

He he ... he he... ;-)

You're better find a proper way to setup ZA or might find a substitute ASAP because it's not a good solution to have web server w/o antivirus+firewall. BTW, I'm using Norton 360 and so far so good.

Have fun,

Date: August 16, 2007 04:53AM

i have used norton 360 before too, but moved to zone alarm because it was much less of a resource hog.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory

Date: August 16, 2007 07:44AM

I'm just using WAMP for local stuff. I turned on windows built in firewall instead.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.