Need to move a big local database to another XP pc, how?
Posted by: Choller (---.dsl.cambrium.nl)
Date: August 06, 2007 12:38PM

I have a 500mb database that's sitting on my old computer and I would like to move it to my new computer. Both pc's are running XP and have the latest wamp installed.
The database is really big with more than 2 million records, how can i move this withouth spending a year importing/exporting small files?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need to move a big local database to another XP pc, how?
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2007 08:24PM

you can use phpmyadmin to export tables and data to a .sql file and then use phpmyadmin import to import the data for wamp. you will need to change a few settings to allow the use of such a large file.

open php.ini ( c:\wamp\apache2\bin\php.ini ):

find:
post_max_size = 8M

change to:
post_max_size = 750M

find:
upload_max_filesize = 2M

change to:
upload_max_filesize = 750M

then find:
max_execution_time = 30
max_input_time = 60
memory_limit = 8M

change to:
max_execution_time = 5000
max_input_time = 5000
memory_limit = 1000M

save the file and restart apache for the new settings to take effect. i suggest you change alll the settings back to their default settings after you have imported your data.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: August 06, 2007 09:54PM

There are 6 main factors; cyber already posted 5 for you and the last but not least is file_uploads and make sure it's set to ON

Hope this work for you; if not, email me for alternate solutions

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP)

Date: August 07, 2007 02:34AM

the default setting for file_uploads is enabled, there is no reason to change it.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: August 07, 2007 04:05PM

he he ... he he... ;-)

I said "make sure it's set to ON" and did NOT suggest to change anything

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP)

Date: August 08, 2007 08:58AM

Thank you guys i'm going to try it out today, will let you know how it went.

Date: August 08, 2007 07:37PM

It did export a file (27mb large) but when i try to import it on my new pc i get the following errors.

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 717225984) (tried to allocate 259836285 bytes) in wamp\phpmyadmin\libraries\import.lib.php on line 248

Date: August 08, 2007 09:56PM

increase memory_limit = 1000M to memory_limit = 2000M

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory

Date: August 19, 2007 09:39AM

Okay so i decided that the best way to do was through DOS prompt.

I imported a table of 2.5 million records and that went fine (mysql - u root database < sql.sql)

Now i'm trying to import another database with 2.2. million records and It's not accepting it (ERROR 2006 (HY000) at line2: MySQL server has gone)

Line 2 is just the beginning of my insert statement.

I kept debugging and it turns out that I can only insert a maximum of 9000 records at a time. I tried with the other .ini files but they all came with different errors.

What can I change now to get this to work? Remember i'm not doing anything through phpmyadmin, only commandline.

Date: August 19, 2007 09:56AM

Fixed it:

added this in my mysql.ini

max_allowed_packet = 200M

Posted by: SYMMS (64.122.75.---)
Date: October 12, 2007 04:04PM

When I try to import a sql file that's 180mb, I get the following error

"Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 300 seconds exceeded in c:\wamp\www\phpmyadmin\libraries\read_dump.lib.php on line 91"

I've already changed to the following:

post_max_size = 750M
upload_max_filesize = 750M

max_execution_time = 15000
max_input_time = 15000
memory_limit = 2000M

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Post Edited (10-12-07 17:23)

Posted by: jw_k (---.net-you.de)
Date: October 12, 2007 08:30PM

I read enthusiastic reports about [www.mysqldumper.de]

Posted by: toivo (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 13, 2007 10:55PM

Hi,

I would interested to know if anyone has used MySQL Administrator Backup and Restore functions for importing large databases like the one described in the thread?

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.