Errors... Q and A's
Posted by: webie (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 28, 2007 06:15AM

Okay so I got WAMP5 and fired it right up. But i seem to have a little problem.
I can't see the pages that came with the WAMP5 program. I continue to get errors about the Apache program when i try to start it. along with other things, like a strange request for a username and password whenever i try to view the Localhost file. I am a bit new to all this server stuff, I've never had to deal with it much before, I just write the scripts and such.

That also reminds me, Is there any way i can change the Port number? the default port (80) Is being used by another program. I tried finding the port setting in the INI and Conf files and found nothing there.

So, what do i need to do to fix them all? If you need more info about my problems just ask, I need the help so i'll help out in return.

Thanks all.

Hmmm.... a signature....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Errors... Q and A's
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: July 28, 2007 06:19PM

what are the exact errors you are receiving (included error code) ?

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Date: August 01, 2007 09:26PM

Well after re installing and Figuring out the config file a bit i don't have many more problems the server is working fine except for one key thing...

I can't access My web server or files from any other place except the computers her in my house that are connected to my Router.

I went looking for a fix and have one more thing to try out but so far nothing has worked at all. The FAQ section here tells me about an option that just not there in my files. The "UseConocialName on" Or what ever that was. So i've been messing with my config files seeing if anything else would help. This last test is still taking some time, as i'm not able to get to an outside computer to determine for myself what the problem may be.

Any suggestions about this one? I'm running out of places to go and search terms to use T.T
Thanks again.

Hmmm.... a signature....

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 11:23PM

Through wamp tray icon, put your server in online mode, then access through your web ip. You might be interested in more tips on my sites.

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP)

Post Edited (08-01-07 23:25)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: August 02, 2007 06:03PM

Well, You see thats what i did. I put it all online and went through my IP.
Now i've changed all the needed things from localhost to my IP and it still wont display my pages.
I have made some progress though. I am able to some what access my server but it will not display the web pages saying that the page is not there or may have been moved, ect.

I will look on your site thanks. ^^

Hmmm.... a signature....

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 03, 2007 02:05AM

Make sure you enable port 80 in both firewall and router

Have fun,

Date: August 03, 2007 06:49AM

Well the firewall is set and I don't believe our router has to be configured, Port 80 is default.

My port is set to 80 and I have changed my Previous IP to my web IP, my first problem in accessing from out side my routers reach. I did think it was because i hadn't configured my httpd-vhosts file, and I still do. But it seems that every time i configure that file and include it in the httpd file my apache finds some kind of conflict (That my best guess) and fails to start or make the attempt to.

Needless to say I'm not giving up, I must find a way to use my server over the net. I'm using Windows XPpro SP2 and have found the IIS crap that MS blindly installs, It wasn't a problem to begin with. I haven't found any other potential problems within my computer yet.

It's all puzzling me, I've set and reset my config files and have a feeling that the thing i'm missing is my vhosts config file. Problem being i don't know if i'm configure it right when i configure it or if its the way i include it, which is simply uncommenting it so there should have been no problem.

What can you all deduce from that?

Hmmm.... a signature....

Date: August 03, 2007 08:43AM

Okay, did allot more editing and configuring combined the vhosts and the httpd files so as to rule out any possible problems with the include.
After doing so I did encounter problems, They all arose from a single space in my vhost section.

I've configured all my access limiters to allow all IP's, for the off net tests. Still i have made no progress, in short the vhost file didn't help at all. The message I get is connection time out, i believe its from my browser. I've set all my time-out's to at least a minute and a half.
Safe to say the Vhost can be ruled out.

Hmmm.... a signature....

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: August 03, 2007 08:18PM

I don't believe our router has to be configured, Port 80 is default.
Default to where? How are you sure that your router already configured? Did you actually at least set it up once before?

OK, some people might wonder why they MUST enable port 80, so here is the answer; of course, I don't go into technical terms, but try to use a very simple terms so that everyone [even a dummy like me he he... he he... ;-) ] can understand, so if it doesn't make sense to you, feel free to correct me

Enable port 80 in firewall so firewall does NOT block wampserver to work on your computer properly

Forward port 80 in router so router does NOT block the communication/transaction b/w computer and outside world, so this MUST be set at a very specific LAN ip, at which wampserver is installed; for example, it you setup wampserver on an external network drive, you must setup static ip for that drive, then forward port 80 to that drive, not the computer it connect to. BTW, if setup this way, you must have a very proper configuration to make it work, not just static ip and port forward.

Have fun,

Date: August 07, 2007 08:05AM

Okay, thanks for filling me in on that, i did get that all situated, finally winking smiley

But now there is yet another problem... Yes i said it, another problem.
I did gain access to my server, so i know it works right. (as long as i use <m.I.P.address>:85. The port i chose to forward along with switching my defaults to that port as well, I figured it may be better security. )

But the problem I have now is that I get a 404 Error, and then another echoed 404 thats generated by my custom 404 page! So i know nothing can be accessed because of this.

Yes i've checked my firewall ports and all that again just to make sure they were opened.
So does this have anything to do with my changing default ports?

Hmmm.... a signature....

Date: August 07, 2007 06:45PM

Well this isn't cool... I restarted my server this morning and it now throws a 403 Forbidden access error, along with the under lying error from the 404 case above except it too is now a 403 error.

Just what did I do?

Hmmm.... a signature....

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: August 07, 2007 09:35PM

Are you using win2k?

Today, I have a chance to test my wamp on my usb stick on win2k; wamp is starting w/o problem but when accessing localhost, I do get 403. Take out my stick and try it w/ Vista Business, working fine; then, take usb stick out and try again w/ XP Pro, still working perfectly; so, I can say that this wamp version really have problem w/ win2k

Just my 2-cent

Have fun,

Post Edited (08-07-07 23:39)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: August 10, 2007 12:02AM

No i'm running Windows XP pro. SP2 the version says its 2002.
thats why i didn't see what the problem was.
Though I figured it out some what.

It had something to do with my Vhost include after i took it off it worked right but i still can't get in from outside my router. Even with the right ports forwarded.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm going to give up on this one. I'll produce it here and take my work, along with a copy of the WAMP5 server installer, with me on a thumb drive so i can't take it where ever and present.
I would like to say thanks to you for helping me out and thanks to the producers for creating an all-in-one system that can go about anywhere.

Thanks again guys.

Hmmm.... a signature....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.