#1064 error
Posted by: wampwonder (---.range86-130.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 23, 2007 04:55PM

hi i just tried creating table in mysql for first time after reading a website and im getting this message

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'character (

below is a copy of table i tried to make , have i setup wamp wrong or is it just my table thats wrong?

CREATE TABLE character (
charid INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
gender INT(2) DEFAULT '0' NULL,
lvl INT DEFAULT '0' NULL,
hp INT DEFAULT '10' NULL,
intelligence INT DEFAULT '10' NULL,
strength INT DEFAULT '10' NULL,
agility INT DEFAULT '10' NULL,
endurance INT DEFAULT '10' NULL,
dark INT(3) DEFAULT '0' NULL,
light INT(3) DEFAULT '0' NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (charid)
);

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: #1064 error
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: July 23, 2007 10:44PM

you can not use 'character' as a table name. 'character' is a what in technical terms is called a "MySQL Reserved Word". You cannot create tables with these reserved words. Click on the link below to learn more about reserved words and for a list of all of mysql's reserved words.

MySQL Reserved Words

you will need to change the name of that table to something else. i suggest you change it to 'player_character'

Also as a little extra note for you and any other newbies out there, php also has is own reserved words.

PHP Reserved Words

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.