Switching over from individual servers? help please.
Posted by: Gonzo (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 22, 2007 11:53PM

Hi,

I've been running MySql, PHP, and Apache2 for some time on my old, crusty (but trusty) Windows 2000 server. I've just recently upgraded my MySQL server. And I just found out about wampserver. This looks like a great idea, and I think I'd like to use it. However, when I downloaded and installed the packages (version 1.7.2), I didn't fully understand how it all works.

The good news is that it kept all of its installation stuff to itself. The bad news is that I really can't use what it has installed because it didn't really upgrade anything - it just installed new services, which is not what I wanted. So I manually stopped the WampApache2 service and the WampMySql Service.

So here is my problem. First of all my MySql server is more recent than the one in the wampserver package, and I don't want to go backwards. My PHP stuff is very old, and I wouldn't mind the upgrade there, and the same goes for Apache. But what is the least painful way to manage this? Right now the original Apache server still seems to get stuff from my web port (80). Also, it's configured to use the old PHP stuff (which is installed at c:\php). I'd like to maintain the current version of MySQL, and its databases, as well as all of the web pages that I already have under my "old" Apache server

If anyone understands what I mean by all of this, I'd love to hear a considered opinion of how best to proceed.

Thanks,

= Ed =

Post Edited (07-22-07 23:54)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Switching over from individual servers? help please.
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: July 23, 2007 02:32AM

you can only have one copy of apache and mysql installed. uninstall everything. uninstall all versions of apache, mysql and php you have. uninstall wamp too, and then delete the c:\wamp folder. restart pc, install wamp only.

b]CyberSpatium[/b]
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Posted by: Gonzo (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 23, 2007 02:58AM

I know you can only have one copy of each. I was trying to find the easiest way to migrate to wampserver from my individual servers, --> while still keeping my web pages and databases intact. <-- The path you suggest might accomplish that, except that I would be moving backwards with regards to MySql. I would also have to be careful to keep my data intact, especially my database. Since it was built under a newer version of MySql, I might just wait for the next release of Wampserver to do as you suggest.

Thanks.

= Ed =

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 24, 2007 02:15AM

The best way is get a new hard drive which is very cheap nowadays (160 GB is about 10 bucks), then follows these steps:

1. If you're having phpMyAdmin, use Export to backup your MySQL databases; if you don't have phpMyAdmin, use function MySQLdump w/ MySQL consol to backup db. Also, backup all web sites.
2. Save those backup files/sites in an external drive or usb stick
3. Swap out that current hard drive w/ the new one
4. On new hard drive, install only 3 things: windows, Antivirus+Firewall, and wamp
5. Restore db w/ Import from phpMyAdmin or MySQL consol and save backup websites in c:/wamp/www folder
6. If you store your_file.php in c:/wamp/www folder then access as follows:
[localhost]

If you store your_file.php in c:/wamp/www/your_folder folder then access as follows:
[localhost]

Your sites should work as expected; if not, you still have all your files in your old hard drive intact. After everything work as expected, install back all software 1 by 1, and make sure to check wamp after each installation to find out if conflict.

If interested, check my sites for more tips

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.