Running Apache & MySQL as a limited/standard user
Posted by: richard235 (---.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk)
Date: July 05, 2007 11:18PM

I have installed WAMP5 (1.7.2) in Windows XP Professional (v 2002; SP2) as administrator. If I log on as administrator, I have no problem running all services (Apache & MySQL); however, if I log on as a limited/standard user, I cannot run the services. Please tell me what I have to do to be able run the services as a limited/standard user.

Many thanks,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Running Apache & MySQL as a limited/standard user
Posted by: mumble (---.pub.ro)
Date: July 19, 2007 08:31PM

I would also appreciate some support here ... I ran into the same very problem using windows server 2003. 10x in advance!

Ref.: [forum.wampserver.com]
Is there are any entries here regarding this subject ?

Post Edited (07-19-07 20:35)

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 19, 2007 09:49PM

Correct me if I'm wrong or so stupid, but why you guys want to let a standard or limited user to have the privilege to control server?

Imagine if you're hosting for more than 100 or even 1,000 users, and any one of them shut down your server by mistake, then the rest users would be locked too, so in my own opinion, server can be accessed by administrators w/ full privileges only, and of course, you can grant some privileges to users so they can use your server, but not control.

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP)

Post Edited (07-19-07 21:50)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: mumble (---.pub.ro)
Date: July 19, 2007 10:27PM

well.. i don't know about the others .. but in my case (as admin wannabe) I want to use a specific LUA account for general browsing on the server while not altering the current running critical processes as windows services.... maybe its lame ... and gets no added-value to my computer's security policy ...

Post Edited (07-19-07 23:41)

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 02:09AM

Not sure if I've got what you mean or vice versus, but as mentioned, users w/ granted specific privileges can access server through ftp or browser w/o problem, but only his assigned account, and of course, can NOT make any change to the server.

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP)

Posted by: richard235 (---.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk)
Date: July 20, 2007 04:54PM

My original question was:
"I have installed WAMP5 (1.7.2) in Windows XP Professional (v 2002; SP2) as administrator. If I log on as administrator, I have no problem running all services (Apache & MySQL); however, if I log on as a limited/standard user, I cannot run the services. Please tell me what I have to do to be able run the services as a limited/standard user."

The reason for this question is that I wish to teach PHP and MySQL to a group of students, but I do not want them to have access to all the system settings in case some of them decide to mess around with the settings.

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Richard

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: July 22, 2007 03:32PM

both apache and mysql need admin level access to work.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.