wamp for Linux is better than Windows XP pro?
Posted by: sammyphp (---.ctinets.com)
Date: June 19, 2007 08:11AM

Hi all,

1. It is said that some open source we application MIGHT work on WAMP, many probably won't. Is this true?
2. Is Wamp secure (for windows xp pro)?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wamp for Linux is better than Windows XP pro?
Posted by: dval (---.chrcitadelle.be)
Date: June 19, 2007 09:11AM

WAMP = W(indows) A(pache) M(ysql) P(hp)
WAMP is not an Operating system,
WAMP5 is an installer for Windows. it installs a complete WAMP solution on your computer. WAMP is for :

Windows - Apache - MySQL- PHP5

WAMP5 automatically configures them to work together, wherever you install them on your local drive.
WAMP5 comes with a service manager as an icon tray. This manager will allow you to fully control your server and local projects.

WAMP5 is not designed for production but as a development environment. With WAMP5, you will be able to create you scripts locally on your computer, test them and then upload them on your production server.

We have configured Apache and MySQL servers with default configuration files to have the most standard platform. You can then adapt it to your personal needs.

look also here : [www.wampserver.com](download the file, unlock it by properties - unlock, and read it)

Dval
(depuis la Belgique, enfin encore pour l'instant... pfff. quel pays :-)

Date: June 19, 2007 03:53PM

Hi dval,

Thank you for your comments.

"WAMP5 is not designed for production but as a development environment." So, in that case, it means that I could write php prg with dreamweaver and test in wamp + windows xp . After testing, I could upload the php prg to a linux server without changing any line of code?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: ZeZe (---.catv.broadband.hu)
Date: June 19, 2007 11:34PM

That's the point. Only be careful, because you may encounter other versions of php, mysql and apache on the production server. You actually should. Even as WAMP is not equiped with the latest versions of them, on production sites you should find even erlier ones, considered more stable, more secure. Try to write adapting code if you can. And dont forget about extensions. On your PC you are the boss is loading extensions, on the production server you might not be.

Date: June 20, 2007 05:38AM

Hi ZeZe,

"Try to write adapting code if you can. And dont forget about extensions."

1. "adaptiog code" : Could I ask where may I find more information on this topics?
2. "extensions" means eg. .html, .php, .jpg ,etc?

Thanks in advance

Sammy

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: June 21, 2007 01:43PM

read my manual

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Mortgage and Home Loan Advice:
Clarify Loans

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.