general comment from a newbie
Posted by: jaimebien (---.carlnfd4.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: June 11, 2007 03:15PM

Hey y'all,

Is it me, or does it seem that there is a general air of apathy towards newbies? Yes, I don the label "newbie" in that I haven't been programming for ages, but really, how many times have I read the "please check read our forums as this topic has been posted many times before"? Now, I truly understand how much one hates to repetition, and in that light, the aforementioned reply is totally understandable. But surely, it is possible to be more welcoming and certainly less cold in responses? We always read about how Wikipedia is not very welcoming to newbies, or newbie-oriented rather. Do we really want to be like that?

The fact is, often when newbies come with questions (I speak from experience), they are often confused. Sure, there is often the search function, but often, the confusion prevents a clear understanding of what they're looking for. Maybe they have done a search, but simply missed what they were looking for. Maybe they haven't done a search because they don't know where to start. We all have to start somewhere, and I think perhaps we should carry a friendlier tone towards newbies (i.e. nous). Sure, keep those redirects like "check out my manual", but how about a simple smiley face grinning smiley at the end just to lift the perceived cold tone?

Perhaps the easiest way then, for the convenience of confused newbies and to reduce frustrations for old-timers (sick of repeating themselves, like teachers often are) is to create a NEWBIE FORUM. Hey, what do you say? Newbie forum and smileys? I'm not attacking anyone, neither am I claiming that there is rudeness in anyway. It's just about tone.

Lastly, I apologise if I'm repeating what has been said before, because I have actually done a search and looked through the forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: general comment from a newbie
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: June 12, 2007 01:44AM

i volunteer my time here a few times a everyday. i do not get paid anything to post here, it all comes out of my personal time. i am a busy webmaster and many times do not have much time to explain something in explicit detail of step by step directions every time a newbie makes a post. especially if there is a post that has already been posted before i am not going to explain something again, i will tell them to search for xxx. I am not trying to be rude or impatient, i can get very tiresome answering the same questions over and over again everyday that could have been easily solved if the newbie searched the forum before posting. if i do get a question that needs some explanation then i do offer some type of assistance but i am not going to write a 10 page response. if you don't understand my replies, just ask for more explanation on what step(s) you don't understand.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Mortgage and Home Loan Advice:
Clarify Loans[/url

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.