"Cannot load mysql extension. "
Posted by: gavin (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: June 03, 2007 12:31PM

OK CyberSpatium, I think this issue of loading the php_mysql extension needs more attention in your manual. I have been reading the forum, the manual, and messing with WAMP5 for hours now--and I am still getting "Cannot load mysql extension. " error.

Yes, I replaced the 'c:/windows/php' with 'c:/wamp/php' in the System Environment Variables, as suggested at:
[forum.wampserver.com]

Yes, I have replaced php.ini with what you posted at (missing php_mysql/sqlite by the way): [forum.wampserver.com]

Yes, I made sure that 'php_mysql' and 'php_sqlite' have triangles, suggested at:
[forum.wampserver.com]

Yes, I tried adding 'php_mysqli' with a triangle, suggested at:
[forum.wampserver.com]

Yes, I tried adding 'PHPIniDir "c:/wamp/php"' and copying the php 'ext' folder, as suggested at:
[forum.wampserver.com]

Yes, I made sure I didn't have IIS running, as suggested at:
[forum.wampserver.com]

I've read a lot of users complaining about the same "Cannot load mysql extension" error. I think it's about time you spent more time updating your manual to include more solutions to this *common* problem--and especially a solution I haven't listed (as my WAMP is still not working).

thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Cannot load mysql extension. "
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: June 03, 2007 06:34PM

you have multiple copies of php and most likely multiple copies of mysql too. you can only have one copy of php and mysql installed. uninstall everything, all versions of apache, php, mysql etc. restart, install wamp only .

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Posted by: ZeZe (---.catv.broadband.hu)
Date: June 03, 2007 08:42PM

It minght be of no use, but actually you can heve multiple instances, if you set up properly.

But for the beginning, shut anything else down. Use ProcessExplorer and TCPView from Sysinternals (newly hosted by Microsoft) to monitor processes and port bindings.

PHP is realy sensitive on dll versions, check PATH, variables WINDOWS and SYSTEM32 folder to be sure your have only the proper version of extension dll in the search list!

Sysinternal's FileMon can track your file access (dll loading) events, so you can check where in the file system is the loaded dll actually.

Date: June 04, 2007 01:15AM

Even though I have installed/uninstalled WAMP5 a few time--I currently do not have multiple copies running (verified by sysinternals-processexplorer).

Date: June 04, 2007 09:04AM

OK I believe I finally figured it out, and the solution was not mentioned anywhere on these forums as far as I can tell (although someone was close.)

In the System Environment Variables, there are *two* fields to edit: PATH & PHPRC. The 'PHPRC' seems obvious now, but I overlooked it since I was only looking for 'PATH'.

Even after making this correction, when I go to [localhost], I still see that:
Configuration File (php.ini) Path C:\WINDOWS
,which is wrong. I'm sure this will be a problem later on, but I'm glad I fixed the field below to read correctly:
Loaded Configuration File C:\wamp\php\php.ini

I strongly recommend this sort of info is included in the manual, and not simply stuff most people know already.

peace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.