New to Wamp5 -Need some advice
Posted by: morgansolutions (---.techniumcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2007 06:41PM

Hi Guys,

I'm new to web publishing and decided to use wamp5 to publish my wiki site.

I dont have a static IP at the moment and so use DynDNS to redirect visitors directly to my wamp server. The comany who I bought my Domain name from (1and1 internet) offers re-direction in two forms - HTTP and Frame. I have tried using Frame redirect to direct straight my homepage but the full address still shows in the address bar. I have tried various other ways including forwarding direct to my IP (without the use of DynDNS) and it appears that this frame direct bollocks doesn't work!

Is there another way of setting up my site without visitors being able to access my localhost page?

Post Edited (05-13-07 18:42)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to Wamp5 -Need some advice
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: May 13, 2007 08:05PM

set your domain names nameserver to the nameserver provided by your dynamic dns service.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Web Development for Newbie's Blog

Posted by: morgansolutions (---.techniumcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2007 08:51PM

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply, I've already done this to no avail, it messes up my dns settings.

I've read that in order for you to redirect dns - you must have 2 dns servers? Is this correct?

The adjustable settings I have are below:

(I currently use default 1and1 servers so the fields are all blank)

Primary Name Server....................................................
Secondary Name Server...............................................
(Please note: If you want to use the 1&1 secondary name server, your primary name server must allow a zone transfer (AXFR) for the following name server: slv2.1and1.co.uk [IP = 212.227.123.29])
1. Secondary Name Server.............................................
2. Secondary Name Server.............................................
3. Secondary Name Server.............................................

Does this mean anything to you?!

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: May 14, 2007 02:14AM

read my manual

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

I have put one of my one word domains up for action at ebay - Moistest.com
Click here to see the auction

Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Web Development for Newbie's Blog

Posted by: morgansolutions (---.range86-143.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 21, 2007 12:41AM

Hi CyberSpatium

Your manual is well written and I found it extremely useful - in particular the part on the Zone Edit - I now have it working. However, I seem to be struggling with the virtual hosts section.

When I access my site xxxxx.co.uk - I am taken directly to the WAMP homepage - obviously this is no good as I want to go directly to my desired site within my wamp folder (namely C:/wamp/www/wikisite/index.php etc). My last resort is using webforwarding (resetting the nameservers to my default hosting service and using zone edit's webforward to my server's IP address in cloaked mode). However, I've read that some browsers will show the full url whether cloaked or not, and going up a level will of course bring them back to my WAMP admin page.

Is there another way around this?

My current understanding of the virtual hosts config is that a visitor to the domain/server is redirected to a specified location and this location is the DocumentRoot part.

Have I got it completely wrong?!

Thanks,

Jake.

Posted by: morgansolutions (---.range86-143.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 21, 2007 09:30AM

Got it!! I had to edit the httpd cofig file as well!

Had a few teething problems at first but I think I've gotten there:

[wikimenus.co.uk]

Thank you again CyberSpatium for an excellent manual - us newbies need more like you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.