htaccess for newbies
Posted by: scalabit (---.cabotva.net)
Date: May 08, 2007 02:06AM

Hi everybody,
i´m going crazy with my newbie knowledge and i need HELPPPPP.

This is my story:
i need to make some folders in my hdd always there for me and some friends.
i wen to www.no-ip.com, created and account, then i downloaded their program, and also wamp 5 (please note that i have never done this type of work, and my knowlegde about this is almost 0).

When i was installing WAMP 5, i changed the directory. i wanted to create my serve in my D drive, but besides that i did no touch a "soul".

I´m pleased to say that everything went ok, but, after my firts tests i´ve realized that some folders should be password protected.
I went and read the "Unoficial Manual" (http://forum.wampserver.com/read.php?f=2&i=12300&t=12300) , thinking that everything would be alright, but it didn´t...

this is my problem:
i´ve done everything the "Proper use of .htaccess and .htpasswd" chapter said, but i always get the 500 internal server error.

Wamp is installed on C:\ drive, but my www directory is my D:\ drive, is this a problem?
.htaccess files were created according to "Proper use of .htaccess and .htpasswd" chapter and puted inside the folders i wished to protect.
.htpasswd as created according to "Proper use of .htaccess and .htpasswd" chapter with help from the .htpasswd Content Generator site, and stored on WAMP dir on C:\

WHAT CAN BE WRONG??

Thanks,
Scalabit

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: htaccess for newbies
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: May 08, 2007 05:15AM

make sure you save the file as .htaccess and .htpasswd. windows will not let you save a file without a file name, so you need to save the file as ".htaccess" and ".htpasswd" for them to work (use the "winking smiley.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP

User Manual/Guide
here!

Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development

newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if

you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development

tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Web Development for Newbie's Blog

Posted by: scalabit (---.net.novis.pt)
Date: May 08, 2007 02:14PM

Done. Many thanks!!

one more question:

when i enter the user name and password they stay stored in the system.
how can i prevent this?

Thanks,
Scalabit

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: May 08, 2007 03:36PM

try cleaning out your tmp directory. c:\wamp\tmp

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Web Development for Newbie's Blog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.