Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Can't connect from outside world
Posted by: Codec (---.detroit.lib.mi.us)
Date: April 16, 2007 09:50PM

example:
Listen 12.34.56.78:80
#Listen 10.0.0.103:80 << change it to ur external ip example:68.0.0.0:1500
also ServerName www.mydominname.com:80 >> www.mydomainname.com:1500

and so when I give people my web addy it's going to be www.mywebaddy.com:1500?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 16, 2007 09:53PM

and I'll have to forward port 1500 on my router to?

Post Edited (04-16-07 21:56)

Posted by: techno_man (---.20-57-74.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: April 16, 2007 09:55PM

Listen im just a USER
well what i think cause ive been screwing around for over a month now trying to figure it out,
the most problems are the server root and ports and ips
this is what i would do if i were you for outside (LIVE) ** production server **
ServerName www.mydominname.com:80 <<< no
ServerName www.mydominname.com:1000^ or higher <<<yes
Listen 12.34.56.78:80 <<< dont touch
#Listen 10.0.0.103:80 <<change it
Listen 12.34.56.78:80 <<< dont touch
#Listen 68.0.0.0:1000 ^or higher <yes dont put higher as the word just a number 1000 too 15000 and dont forget to dmz and in there put it set to open inbound and outbound in ur router to the port you select !

PS: ServerName www.mydominname.com:1000
#Listen 68.0.0.0:1000 make sure there the same port number on both !

yes when you give out ur website name (http://www.emaple.com:1000)

Post Edited (04-16-07 22:04)

Date: April 16, 2007 10:15PM

When I change these settings Apache fails to start =(

Date: April 16, 2007 10:19PM

well i think the best thing to do at this point is the following....
#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
Listen 1000
ServerAdmin: Your address, where problems with the server should be
# e-mailed. This address appears on some server-generated pages, such
# as error documents. e.g. example@verizon.com
#
ServerAdmin example@verizon.com
ServerName localhost:1000 localhost (also it has to be changed as the database name localhost to what ever in phpmyadmin)
>>>>>> also what i have learned in php extensions add this to the new extention
php_smtp.dll
itll act like ur mail server

Post Edited (04-16-07 22:23)

Date: April 16, 2007 10:26PM

Thanks! I will have to check back in a few hours ... =)

Posted by: Codec (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2007 02:58AM

ServerName localhost:1000 localhost (also it has to be changed as the database name localhost to what ever in phpmyadmin)

What does this mean? "(also it has to be changed as the database name localhost to what ever in phpmyadmin)"

Date: April 17, 2007 07:15AM

i make it simple for you ---------------->
question for you <--------> do you have a domin name (yes) or (no)

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: April 17, 2007 02:59PM

Actually, the default config file should work right out the box, so you should NOT change anything, so better change back to its default

To test access from outside, connect your server directly to internet, I mean don't go through any hub, switch, or router, and it should work. If not, check to make sure your soft such as mcafee, norton, zonealarm, skypes, so on does not block port 80

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (testing WAMPS)
[test.jlbn.net] (testing codes)

Posted by: zstreet86 (---.utep.edu)
Date: April 17, 2007 04:40PM

hello everyone sorry i dont mean to hijack this thread but i think am having similar difficulties... i have my static ip and the server name etc. i am in a university and IT is linking my ip to my name and vice versa. So, what exactly do i need to change to make this happen, i already put everything back to default. Oh and by the way i am using wamp to run OJS. thanks in advance

Date: April 17, 2007 05:01PM

After tie ip and domain, it needs 6 to 72hrs to take effect; while waiting, just rename anything in wamp/www to something else, then put your test index file in there, and you should see it when type in your domain in the browser, of course w/ proper firewalls and router setup

Have fun,

Date: April 17, 2007 05:19PM

Thanks for the quick response! well its been a couple weeks already so thats ok; by naming it to something else do you mean just anything i want or rename to the name or adress i will be using.

also the only files i have in wamp/www are dossier.gif, index.php, log_i.gif. this is because i have my document root in a different file on a different local drive (to prevent loss of data). i dont know if that last bit of info ill help or not.

there are two differerent index.php files: a larger 10kb file in wamp/www, and a smaller 2kb file in my document root. i think the smaller one is part of or for the software/service (OJS) i am trying to acess from outside.

So could you help me out by being a little more specific, im still new to this whole thing. Again thanks in advance!

Date: April 17, 2007 06:32PM

By default, document root is wamp/www, so dossier.gif, index.php, log_i.gif are the files I mentioned because you have only 1 site so after rename them, just put your files in wamp/www and you should see it when type in your domain in browser

However, if you setup document root in different location, make sure you setup properly and also you might have to setup vh to make it work, and I think this is more confused to you if you new to wamp, I mean any wamp not just this wamp.

In my opinion, I think this is the most common problem when people are not sure what to do but already setup everything differs from the default, then have the hard time to figure out which one is wrong, so my suggestion is you should set everything back to its default, test to make sure it works as expected, then make a change 1 by 1 to meet your needs.

Have fun,

Date: April 17, 2007 11:44PM

ok well lets assume everything is default. where and what exaclty do i need to enter/copy/paste my information (ip, name etc) in order to access the information via internet from "outside" if i know this i think i should be good to go. thanks again yfastu !

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 18, 2007 12:12AM

By default, document root is wamp/www, so dossier.gif, index.php, log_i.gif are the files I mentioned because you have only 1 site so after rename them, just put your files in wamp/www and you should see it when type in your domain in browser
Already posted

Have fun,

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: April 18, 2007 12:17AM

I just noticed your IP address resolves to utep.edu. are you trying to install wamp on a computer connected to your University of Texas network (LAN)? if so your computer will have a local LAN IP - which the outside world cannot see. When you connect to the internet with your computer or someone tries to connect back to you - they see the main IP of your college's internet routing server. if you are not a server admin, you will need to contact your college system admin and ask to allow NAT (Network Address Translation) routing to your own computer, so that any requests coming to your domain should be automatically forwarded to your machine. Else such requests will just go to your college website utep.edu

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Please visit my latest website Clarify Loans:
clarifyloans.com

Date: April 18, 2007 03:15AM

i think that when my ip was tied to my dns name, any requests should be directed to my machine. and if its still not i can take care of that later. my problem right now is that i guess i just dont know exactly what to edit and or change in order to make my server accessible from the outside. right now i cant even access it from within the network. i was hoping someone could tell me how to or what lines to edit/ change in the config file. i tried the methods above but when i restart, the apache service is not running. so i know i am doing something wrong in that aspect (editing the listen and server name lines), but i just can't figure out exaclty what. everything is default as it stands right now... so i am hoping someone can walk me through in setting up my static ip, server name etc with apache. i think that if i do this correctly it should run. again i cant thank you guys enough.

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 18, 2007 03:49AM

After install wamp, you don't need to edit anything and it should work right away if it's not blocked by firewalls, zonealarm, skypes, so on, just access it as follows:

[localhost]

Similarly, access by outside

[your_static_ip_here]

Of course, except that you can't access outside if you're part of network, so you have to follow cyber's suggestion

Remember, you don't need to edit any config file because that's what you think, but it's actually NOT as you think; for example, I didn't change anything in my config files except add vh for my subdomains, and evreything works just fine, of course my ip and domain is tied through dns properly, so if you're not sure how and what to do to set everything back to its default, just uninstall, delete wamp folder, then reinstall; right after that, you should see wamp welcome page when access localhost through tray icon or directly through browser.

Have fun,

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: April 18, 2007 04:43AM

zstreet86, did you read my whole post? it clearly stated "if you have a local IP address, which the outside world cannot see..." this means it does not matter what you change in your httpd.conf file, it wont change anything. you can only use wamp locally (localhost).

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Please visit my latest website Clarify Loans:
clarifyloans.com

Date: April 18, 2007 09:33AM

quoted *CyberSpatium*
----------------
it does not matter what you change in your httpd.conf file, it wont change anything. you can only use wamp locally (localhost).
???????????
-----------------
*CyberSpatium* ------ > Of course it does matter, if he keeps it local, it will remain local and if he changes it in config.httpd.to his *external ip and port*, then he can make it public (live) outbound, thats how i did it !!
------------------
^^ zstreet86 ^^ You said that port 80 isnt working, i read that, so yah hell have to change it in (config.httpd), so that he can change the port and external ip to communicate with his internal ip !!!
----------
^^ Codec ^^ Also i see this error in his script (`httpd -l') can this be a firewall issue ??

Post Edited (04-18-07 09:45)

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.