Vista Startup Issues
Posted by: rctneil (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 11, 2007 01:44PM

I ahve the latest version of WAMP installed on Vista Home Premium. Every time my computer starts up, I get a message stating that a startup program has been blocked. The program which has been blocked is "Aeston Tray Menu" which is the control panel in the computers system tray. Is there a way to stop this being blocked upon startup?

Thanks

Neil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vista Startup Issues
Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: March 12, 2007 03:00PM

Posted by: jemminger (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2007 04:46PM

i followed the instructions in "Scenario 2: Mark an application to always run elevated"... Vista still blocks the tray menu :-/

guess i'll be writing microsoft some hate mail

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 24, 2007 07:36PM

Posted by: jason101 (---.ss.shawcable.net)
Date: March 24, 2007 09:35PM

Go back to xp lol. Vista is terrible.

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 24, 2007 11:40PM

W/ server performance, I didn't see the differences yet, but for personal uses every day, I really like the glass effect, the 3d thumbnails windows switching, the 3d thumbnails for minimize windows, the snipping tools for screen snapshot, so on and they're very cool.

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.com] (testing WAMPS on Vista)
[test.jlbn.com] (testing codes on Vista)

Win Vista Business
Apache 2.2.4
MySQL 5.2.3 F-A
PHP 5.2.1
SSL 0.9.8D

phpMyAdmin 2.10.0.2

Posted by: jemminger (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: March 27, 2007 01:36AM

thanks for the reply. i found out how to log in as the real Administrator, made sure that the tray menu is set to "run as administrator" for both current and all users, and it still doesn't work when i log back in as my normal user with admin privileges. vista is a pile of crap.

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 27, 2007 03:40AM

He... he... ;-)

My wamps on both Vista Premium and Business are working like a charmed, so I hope you follows the instruction precisely.

Have fun,

Win Vista Business
Apache 2.2.4
MySQL 5.2.3 F-A
PHP 5.2.1
SSL 0.9.8D

phpMyAdmin 2.10.0.2

Post Edited (03-27-07 03:58)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: JohnnyW (---.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk)
Date: April 01, 2007 04:54AM

1. Vista is excellent, and better than XP.
2. Don't disable UAC just so WAMP server runs on start-up. That would be very foolish and unnecessary.
3. The problem is actually with WAMPServer.exe, not Vista, because it's insisting on admin privileges to run, which no start-up program should need.

Date: April 02, 2007 02:40AM

Agree w/ # 1, and I really enjoy most features of Vista

Agree first part of # 2, but you still able to setup program that auto run on system starts up especially when server should leave to run unattended

Don't agree w/ # 3 as mentioned above

Have fun,

Win Vista Business
Apache 2.2.4
MySQL 5.2.3 F-A
PHP 5.2.1
SSL 0.9.8D

phpMyAdmin 2.10.0.2

Date: April 02, 2007 02:48AM

128MB NVidia 6600 16x PCIe Video card for only $15 AR+CP is just perfect, and lucky me, just get in time to score 1, so finally I can build a powerful Core 2 Duo box for less than 300 bucks. he... he... ;-)

Edit: Oops, wrong forum, so admin/mod feel free to remove this post any time. In case any1 curious, Here are the specs:

OS+: Vista Business + Office 2007 Pro (Free from M$)
Case: Antec Ultra Black Wizard 11-bay midtower ($50 - $50RB = Free)
PSU: Ultra V 500w ($40 - $40RB = Free)
Burner: Sony 18x Dual-layer ($75 - $15 [15 off 75 CP] - $20RB - $30RB = Free)
HD: Western Digital 500GB SATA2 (Price Mistake $60 - $7.20[12%offCP] - $10[10off20CP]) = $43.80)
RAM: 2GB (2 x 1Gcool smiley DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel ($150 - $20[Google] - $50RB = $80)
Processor+MoBo combo: Core 2 Duo E4300 [1.8GHz overclocked to 3.38GHz] ($145)
Video: 128MB NVidia 6600 16x PCIe (Price Mistake $40 - $15[PayPal] - $10RB = $15)
Total: $43.80 + $80 + $145 + $15 = $283.80 + Tax

Have fun,

Win Vista Business
Apache 2.2.4
MySQL 5.2.3 F-A
PHP 5.2.1
SSL 0.9.8D

phpMyAdmin 2.10.0.2

Post Edited (04-02-07 18:56)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: dark1 (---.dynamic.dsl.t-2.net)
Date: April 05, 2007 05:55AM

rctneil, Where did u install wamp
was it in program file or just wamp dir

im having same problems, neither works,i can set both options run as admin, but it doesnt stop the blocks at startup

if yfastud says he had it working im guessing he might have installed in different dir
for all i know vista has some wierd issues with program files dir, somehow patches dont work or either something fails in apps. i noticed even wierd stuff goin on with for example my c(boot) disk, i cant make new txt file on disk, wait it gets even wierder, i have two other disks wich are exactly the same and connected to same sata controler, and the wierd part is i cant make a new txt file on one of them and on other i can,
but u can make new txt file from all newly created dirs on c, except in any subfolder of program files, so i assume there must be something to it
it may not be in wamp manager wanting the admin privelages, it might be vista new way of protecting dirs, subsequently blocking simple,... tasks like make new txt, especialy program files dir is write protected in some ways

i ask myself wheres the point of blocking "make new txt file", when its not blocked to create a dir there and copy the file from somewhere else to it
i like vista, but stil m$ wtf

anyone have same problem and installed in just wamp dir???
i have it all installed with db settings and data, dont want to reinstall just to try this out

Date: June 12, 2007 11:48PM

Just to once again make this clear: The problem is with WAMP demanding admin privileges, it's not with Vista. You should not need to alter your entire security set-up just to run WAMP.

If the makers of WAMP altered their tray icon (WAMPManager.exe) so it didn't need Admin privileges to run (like all tray icons), it would load perfectly.

One suggestion is to try setting WAMPManager.exe to run as admin within the file's properties (in C:\WAMP\). I've not tested this, though.

Posted by: JohnnyW (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 13, 2007 12:31PM

Just a quick reply. I've since tested the above and it doesn't work. Vista will not allow startup programs to run that require Admin access for obvious reasons. Please change this WAMPServer programmers... thanks!

Posted by: roms (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: July 14, 2007 04:36PM

Hi, if wampmanager.exe desn't has admin rights, it cannot manage the apache and the MySQL services. I did not decide this, it's a windows fact.
So either you give admin rights to wampmanager.exe, either....either nothing.

I personnaly hate Vista, it's just a pain in the xxx for developpers,its UAC system is so anoyi ng and this system need so much ressources for nothing,( just my point of view, no troll).

Romain

Date: July 15, 2007 02:49PM

Vista is better than XP for numerous reasons. (You do realise that OSX (often considered better than XP) uses a UAC system, too?) Windows users have just gotten into bad habits, which admittedly is MS's fault, but at least Vista has brought Windows into the 21st Century.

Posted by: geopro78 (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2014 08:26PM

Try this it worked for me...

[www.techrepublic.com]

it wont show the icon or status in the task bar but it does start wamp server so your site is up automatically on restart...

also, you may need to adjust the settings a little bit as well.. remember that they aren't showing you how to start wamp server in the demonstration they are showing you another program but you can apply it to wamp server and it does work....

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: December 15, 2014 11:55PM

Answering a 7 year old question .... Very helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.